Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

axle nut removal

Old 02-08-2004, 05:33 PM
- DA9 -

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2gen91teg has disabled reputation
Default axle nut removal

have already broken 3 tools, bent a 10 ft pipe, soaked the nut in pb blaster, torched it, and put an air gun to it..my friend is gettin a bigger gun tomorrow, but other than that im out of ideas..help me get these things off!

by the way im doing a motor swap..
Old 02-08-2004, 05:36 PM

99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: axle nut removal

i don't see why people have problems getting them off never had a big problem with the axle nut just the axle seizing in the tranny itself.

ok put wheel on car let down
get a 3/4 breaker bar (or 1/2)
get a jackhandle
get 32mm socket
put on axle nut
and loosen the nut

i always to these by hand never had to have an impact for them.
Old 02-08-2004, 05:39 PM
- DA9 -

my car is also about 10 years older than urs tho..have already broken 2, 1/2 breaker bars with pipes extended from it..guess ill try to see if a friend of mine has a 3/4 breaker bar..
Old 02-08-2004, 05:39 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

you dont actually have to take the axles out of the hub to do the swap, you can keep them in the hub and pull them out of the tranny, swing the brake assembly out, lay it on the ground and carefully manuever them when putting the new motor in, unless you cant use your current axles then id say just keep trying what your doing now, if that doesnt work, take the fucking brakes off and CUT THAT SHIT, AHAHA........
Old 02-08-2004, 05:43 PM
- DA9 -

Originally Posted by MORE IMPATIENT
you dont actually have to take the axles out of the hub to do the swap, you can keep them in the hub and pull them out of the tranny, swing the brake assembly out, lay it on the ground and carefully manuever them when putting the new motor in, unless you cant use your current axles then id say just keep trying what your doing now, if that doesnt work, take the fucking brakes off and CUT THAT SHIT, AHAHA........
well im taking my motor out right now..itd be much easier to take that out then the tranny and motor, and dropping the new motor/tranny in at once, rather than tryin to line up the tranny and motor once i get the new one in..but yea im so pissed off right now..
Old 02-08-2004, 06:00 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

Originally Posted by 2gen91teg
well im taking my motor out right now..itd be much easier to take that out then the tranny and motor, and dropping the new motor/tranny in at once, rather than tryin to line up the tranny and motor once i get the new one in..but yea im so pissed off right now..
what are you talking about?........you can still take the tranny out with the motor.....and then put it all back in at once...as long as you swing those axles down and out, you wont hit anything.........ive done it before, it works.......
Old 02-08-2004, 06:02 PM
- DA9 -

Originally Posted by MORE IMPATIENT
what are you talking about?........you can still take the tranny out with the motor.....and then put it all back in at once...as long as you swing those axles down and out, you wont hit anything.........ive done it before, it works.......
sry i thought u suggested leavin the tranny in the car and just takin the motor out...how do u swing the axles...could ya give me some detailed info on how to do it, cause i need this motor out by this friday for my new motor will be here!
Old 02-08-2004, 06:04 PM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

Have you popped out the part that "locks" the nut to the axle yet?
Old 02-08-2004, 06:07 PM
- DA9 -

Originally Posted by SignfcntOthr
yepp
Old 02-08-2004, 06:08 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

Originally Posted by 2gen91teg
sry i thought u suggested leavin the tranny in the car and just takin the motor out...how do u swing the axles...could ya give me some detailed info on how to do it, cause i need this motor out by this friday for my new motor will be here!

take the lower control arm ball joint crown bolt off from the bottom, pop the ball joint out, pry the axle spline going into the tranny loose, lift up and out on the brake calipers which will be holding the axle and it will come out of the tranny, swing the caliper as far outward as you can and the axle spline that was in the tranny should be on the ground by now, put it as far to the back of the car or side as you can but be cafurel not to overextend it or youll pop the joint and need a new axle.......

Originally Posted by SignfcntOthr

i sure hope so, although i dont think that little indention will stop the impact from taking it off....but maybe........

Quick Reply: axle nut removal