Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

street tires get hot and suck?

Old 06-05-2008, 07:16 PM
RagPhoto.net

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99CIVICFTW will become famous soon enough99CIVICFTW will become famous soon enough
Default street tires get hot and suck?

at the last auto x at pungo it seemed as my tires heated up they didn't work as well. i was told by another person there that street tires do that. unlike "racing" tires that work better when they get warm. is this true? if so why? and is there a good street tire that isn't like this?
Old 06-05-2008, 07:50 PM
DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok
Default Re: street tires get hot and suck?

Falken Azenis.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:14 PM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

Originally Posted by The Wok
Falken Azenis.
Yes-sir.

I had the first gens and I loved them way more than anything I've ever owned. Downside is they wore out fast.

I have neo-gens and they are no-where near the Azenis but I DD and occasionally see the 1/4 so they get the job done.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:36 PM
Needs more poke.

Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada

Originally Posted by The Wok
Falken Azenis.
Your solution.

I <3 Azenis
Old 06-06-2008, 04:50 AM
Forcibly Repped

Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu

Any tire can get hot enough to get "greasy" where the rubber is too soft and your sliding around on melting rubber. My Hoosier AS04's would get like this especially in July and August when the track surface was already hot. Spraying them down with water between runs helped a great deal.

Oh and +4 on the Falkens
Old 06-06-2008, 07:33 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Street tires have a different operating temp range than race tires, that's the big difference. Also, the difference in kinetic and static coefficient of friction is usually less with race tires, so they have a progressive transition from gripping to slipping.
Street tires are meant to last longer and at lower operating temps, and aren't meant for the loading that race tires are. Street tires like the Neo-Gens (which are all-season IIRC) need to operate from sub-zero to summer temps without killing anyone..
Old 06-06-2008, 08:08 PM
RagPhoto.net

99CIVICFTW will become famous soon enough99CIVICFTW will become famous soon enough

thank you. i already know about azenis. i plan on getting some soon. i was just curious about the problem i had.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:41 PM
Ick
Lemme track yo bike

Ick will become famous soon enough

If you go with Azenis, take a sprayer with you to cool the tires off between runs. Especially now that it's getting warmer outside. RE-01's work better as they get very hot. No word on the starspecs, but I've heard that they are even better than the RE-01's.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:23 AM
Registered member

jloehlein has disabled reputation

Like Fabrik8 said, street tires are meant to operate at lower temperatures and basically turn to grease once they get too hot. I run Azenis on my CRX and they do pretty well. They have lasted about 15,000 miles for me (including probably 12-15 autocrosses on that).

I did see an RSX on those new Dunlop Direzza Star Specs and it did amazingly well. One of my friends drove it and said it was the closest thing to driving on his Kumho V710s that he has ever felt (he also has an RSX...on 710s)
Old 06-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

Beach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to all

I've had very good luck with my Kuhmo MX's I had no problems with them at Pungo.