Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Stock SRT-4 sub wiring help

Old 02-21-2008, 06:11 PM
The Cool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peezy Peezy Peezy Peezy Peezy
Default Re: Stock SRT-4 sub wiring help

Oh I got ya now. I didn't know SRT-4 amps didn't have RCA jacks. Then try running the RCAs from the converter to the headunit. Hopefully that should work.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

chowe has disabled reputation

Post some pictures of the amp from all sides if ya can.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:32 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

If this is a factory amp, coming directly from the factory head unit, I'm guessing it already has a crossover built in. I wouldn't bother using a line converter, just tap into the speaker wires that are already there. RCAs really aren't used on factory amps, they aren't rugged enough to pass OEM spec.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:04 AM
OV-104

Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
If this is a factory amp, coming directly from the factory head unit, I'm guessing it already has a crossover built in. I wouldn't bother using a line converter, just tap into the speaker wires that are already there. RCAs really aren't used on factory amps, they aren't rugged enough to pass OEM spec.
I've blown a woofer by hooking it up to the factory wiring as well as two tweeters.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:12 AM
i <3 my neon

TheLittleRedSRT is a jewel in the roughTheLittleRedSRT is a jewel in the roughTheLittleRedSRT is a jewel in the roughTheLittleRedSRT is a jewel in the rough

Ill give u a sony 10 for the oem srt one.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:04 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by Scoutn757
I've blown a woofer by hooking it up to the factory wiring as well as two tweeters.
Well, unless the tweeters had a capacitor in series as a passive (first order) crossover then I can see blowing them. I know nothing about how you installed them, or what your setup was, and I'm not going to pass judgment on you for that reason. Chances are, there was a very good reason that you blew them though, and it probably isn't very hard to find. I'm guessing it's some combination of these three things: no crossover, too much power, or too much distortion (dissipated as heat). If it's not one of those things, it's a wiring problem, but that's hard to do.

The point is that this guy's factory sub already has a amp built in, it just needs power and a signal source, and is meant to get the signal from the stock speaker wires. i don't think it's any more complicated than that, unless you want it to be.

My main assumption is that the factory sub doesn't have a set of speaker wires exclusively for the sub, so there is an active crossover built in to the input stage of the amp. Most of these types of devices are very integrated so there aren't a bunch of band-aid solutions strung all over the car like you would need for an aftermarket setup. If you build parts for a specific vehicle or range of vehicles, you know exactly what that system is and can design-in whatever requirements are needed. This is the opposite of the aftermarket, where they try to build in the greatest amount of flexibility possible.. You don't need a head unit, crossover, line converter, amp, sub, etc., with an OEM system. You make as few components as possible, and that makes it cheap, easy to assemble, and less failure prone.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 02-22-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:50 PM
EVER LOST A NUT????

whiterex02 has disabled reputation

well i dont know but... i know that my oil smells like gas pretty bad...
Old 02-23-2008, 03:50 PM
Turbo VTEC-E

black6gen can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by whiterex02
Interesting............................
Old 02-23-2008, 07:00 PM
Racetracks

Not uncommon for WRXs. I'm not sure why. I checked into that a few years ago when I did the first oil change on mine, and found out it isn't a big deal.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:32 PM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

Originally Posted by whiterex02
Comming outta left field with taht one.

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Not uncommon for WRXs. I'm not sure why. I checked into that a few years ago when I did the first oil change on mine, and found out it isn't a big deal.
LOL. You need to make your own thread dude. Just have people ask tech questions and you answer them.

I still don't understand why he wants to put the factory sub/amp in his car. I understand freebie but just get a better sub/amp setup for cheap. Walmart Boxs aren't that bad if you seal them yourself(the 30 dollar box you build yourself). And a amp/sub aren't expensive unless your tryin' to have the best on the market.

Quick Reply: Stock SRT-4 sub wiring help