Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Standalone ECU's

Old 02-12-2008, 07:34 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
zeenon53 has disabled reputation
Default Standalone ECU's

I have to go with a standalone to get rid of the MAF on my car. The only option I have for my car is a Hydra EMS. I see them mainly on miata's and wrx's. There are now a few tiburons runnning around with them and they sem to be good. I want to know what long term users have experienced and any user info on the hydra EMS in general.

You can see it here http://www.hydraems.com/ and they even have a forum.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

Default Re: Standalone ECU's

What about MapECU2 if not the hydra EMS?
Old 02-13-2008, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

CrJenkins13 is on a distinguished road

I've seen a couple STi's with it.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:41 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Why is the only option a Hydra? There are a lot of universal standalones on the market, and it call comes down to tuning no matter what. Most of the plug and play units are just universals with an adapter harness and the right software settings pre-loaded for your engine, unless you have a really popular car like a WRX. Popular cars often have drop in replacement boards, connector specific ECUs, etc. I don't you're going to find any of that for your car, so you can choose from a lot of options like AEM, Hydra, Link, etc.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:53 AM
Team Doughboy

MuffinMan7580 is on a distinguished road

I believe HKS has a piggyback ecu that will convert a map signal into a mas/maf signal.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:03 PM
Friendly Jackboot

sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80

Originally Posted by MuffinMan7580
I believe HKS has a piggyback ecu that will convert a map signal into a mas/maf signal.
i believe your thinking of the greddy emanage, the only ecu that hks has to my knowledge is the standalone one. i could be wrong but w/e. not many companies even bother with a piggyback if they already have a standalone product cause they're garbage. too be honest apex is the only one i can think of...
Old 02-14-2008, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

Right now there s a harness made for the Hydra to be plug and play with my car. I would love to be able to wire in the AEM but I don't know how to wire it up.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:21 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

You could make the same type of adapter harness for the AEM or any other type of compatible ECU, it's just converting the Tiburon harness pinout to the ECU pinout so car-specific connectors don't have to be built in to the aftermarket ECU. Any ECU that meets your hardware requirements will work though..
Old 02-14-2008, 07:39 PM
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

HighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sidewaysil80
i believe your thinking of the greddy emanage, the only ecu that hks has to my knowledge is the standalone one. i could be wrong but w/e. not many companies even bother with a piggyback if they already have a standalone product cause they're garbage. too be honest apex is the only one i can think of...

HKS makes one... I forget what the newer one is called. Old school one is VPC.

If you want to drop the MAF, you can do the MAPECU as someone suggested, probably the easiest. If you need a standalone, there are a milllion options. What kind of car, is the car in question? Haltech just came out with all new shit as well, really nice.