Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

I think my car is suffocating, SC related

Old 05-16-2007, 05:22 AM
"Without Limit"

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
00lude is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I think my car is suffocating, SC related

I think my car may be suffocating due to lack of air. I haven't had to deal with this yet so I need your help.

My feeling is that the supercharger belt is loose or slipping. Monday I experienced a serious hesitation which caused me to check the oil. It needed some. I thought the problem was solved but I experienced it again yesterday.

Basically, if I ease into the trottle I have no signs (car operates completely normal) of any probs until I get over 5K rpm or so, then the hesitation may or may not occur. If I stand on the gas the car makes a blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah (loud) sound and goes nowhere at just about any rpm, instead of the typical whoawhoawhoawhoawhoawhoa when the car is obviously pulling.

I don't have any more build up on the rear bumper than usual but I'll check the oil again to make sure its where it was when I topped it off Monday.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-17-2007, 11:21 AM
Registered Member

curt s has disabled reputation
Default Re: I think my car is suffocating, SC related

what kind of car are we working with?
Old 05-17-2007, 01:10 PM
Needs a fast car now

NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET

im pretty sure its a 2000 Honda Prelude with an H22a supercharged?
Old 05-17-2007, 01:37 PM
DUKE BLUE DEVILS

9civic5 is infamous around these parts9civic5 is infamous around these parts9civic5 is infamous around these parts9civic5 is infamous around these parts9civic5 is infamous around these parts9civic5 is infamous around these parts9civic5 is infamous around these parts9civic5 is infamous around these parts9civic5 is infamous around these parts9civic5 is infamous around these parts9civic5 is infamous around these parts

If you stand on the throttle and it doesn't move, it sounds like your clutch is toast. You may also have a loose charger belt, which is common and you need to tighten the tensioner bracket some or alot.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:25 AM
Registered Member

curt s has disabled reputation

the reason i ask is because i had a sc cavalier, i know ewww, but we all start somewhere. anyway i had simlar problems and it ended up being the sc coming apart inside and the result was, at first at least, that i had a lack of power and sluggish starts which it didn't do before. and eventually came apart enough to put a hole one piston. its just an idea and i dont know how you would really check it but if it helps great. good luck.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:48 AM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

First, he stated the motor is not wrapping up. If his clutch was toast, he would just be revving high w/o taking off. I'm not too familiar with that motor or setup, but I'll try to help where I can. Let me ask a couple of questions first; (I'm assuming H22's never came from the factory supercharged)

Was the setup running fine prior to this?
Does your motor have knock sensors?

If the setup was running fine prior, my honest guess is that a sensor or wire came loose OR your fuel filter is clogged. Double and triple check your MAF, IAT, and MAP sensors to be sure that all wires are connected securely. Another thing you're going to want to check, make sure theres not any sort of positive grounding itself out on the engine block. Now after you do that, check and change your fuel filter, it could be clogged. If its not the ECM compensating the timing, then most likely its a fuel issue.

Now if you just installed this setup and this is happening, and provided your motor has knock sensors, you're probably runnig too much boost and running into knock retard. Knock retard (KR) is your ECM's prevention method against pre-detonation and saving the motor from catastrophy (e.g. chipped piston, bent valve, etc). Hope this helps.

Edit: And one more thing, if you try this and none of it works, its possible that you jumped a tooth or two on your timing belt/chain. Double check your timing to make sure its on.

Last edited by RandomTask; 05-18-2007 at 07:51 AM.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:33 AM
"Without Limit"

00lude is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the input guys. Its definitely not the clutch and the supercharger is not stock, it has been on the car since March of last year with no issues. It looks like I may have a slight fuel issue. I know the car is running leaner than ideal but it is on the upper edge of the safe side. I replaced the plugs and all is back to normal.

I never would have thought the plugs would make such a difference, it was like hitting the fuel cutoff at any rpm.

I will be looking into some of the maintenance issues though.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

btichhonda has disabled reputation

maybe it's your TPS. (Throttle Position sensor)

My friend had something exactly like that happen to me. It revved past 2k then cut off completely.... like.. limping. then when it fell to a certain RPM it kicked right back in and spun the wheels.

Last edited by btichhonda; 02-14-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:55 PM
Registered Member

btichhonda has disabled reputation

lol, shoot. didnt mean to bring back such an old post. my bad.

hope you solved this problem already =]