Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

SR20DET questions

Old 05-21-2003, 04:05 PM
I <3 Hikki Chan!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE
Default SR20DET questions

o'righty, well first off, i don't have a 240sx...i'm looking for one, but i'm building the engine first...

it's a '91 SR20DET Red Top, Uncut Harness, ECU, Tranny, Ignitor...here's what i have

Heavy Throttle EZ Install Kit
Heavy Throttle 3" Downpipe
Catco 3" Race CAt
Blitz Nur Spec-R 3" Catback
Arc Oil Pan
Nismo Timing Chain
Nismo FPR
Nismo Engine Mounts
Nismo 2 Way LSD
Nissan Gasket & Seal set (i'm rebuilding the engine)
Trust SUS Intake
Trust FMIC
Mustang Cobra MAF
Tomei 550cc injectors
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
Jim Wolf Tech. ECU Program
Jim Wolf Tech. Clutch kit
Fidanza Flywheel
Koyo Race Radiator

i'm using the stock turbo, and a Turbo XS two stage boost control, 6psi on the street, 12 psi when i wanna go fastt...so lemmie know what ur impressions are thus far!
Old 05-21-2003, 06:03 PM

mpg9999 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have heard good things about the Greddy profec B boost control. Use that and there high low switch mounted on the steering wheel. Thats my plan. Why the big injectors? Have more plans for it for the future? What are you going to do about IC piping? Are you gona build up the engine at all, or just rebuild it? If your rebuilding you could send out your pistons to swain for some nice thermal coatings. One more thing to add to your list are some JWT S3's.

-Mike
Old 05-22-2003, 04:08 AM
I <3 Hikki Chan!

ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE

well i just bought a T-28 turbo from the S15 for really cheap...so i'm going to run more boost on it, thus the fuel pump, injectors, and FPR...yeah i think i'm going to look into the profec b...it's the one with the yellow button that mounts on the steering wheel right?? nah im just rebuilding it...i want a nice fresh engine when i get a donor chassis
Old 05-22-2003, 06:12 AM
Atheist.

Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker

Suggestions?
- ditch the cat
-trade the Greddy intake for the Blitz SUS
-get an electronic boost controller and turbo timer
-get a better turbo; the T28 isn't all that (my boy has a SE-R w/ SR20DET using the stock turbo; when he's at 12psi he can keep up w/ me with my current mods; I think a better turbo would make a huge difference)
-custom exhaust manifold or get a really cool one for $350 from www.splparts.com
- BOV
- External wastegate
- Intake and intercooler piping

Is the Cobra MAF supposed to be used w/ that motor? I believe it worked on Z31's, but if I recall you should be using a Z32 MAF on your setup. Just going from memory (which sucks) so I may be wrong.

What are your plans for brakes and suspension? Everybody always worries about power first. I always concentrate on these two most important areas before I do anything else.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:29 PM
RS Doscientos

litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic

Turbo Timer's are far from neccesary, they are just a security feeling.. I can tell you countless cars with stock non intercooled, non by passed/blow off turbo's with over 150k miles that are goin strong.. not to say that if you spend 10 grand on an engine it is worthless, just that it isnt needed for most

3" exhuast will make a world of difference.. and any backpressure will kill the spool time and top end on a turbo app.. the turbo will make all the backpressure needed..

A big turbo would be tons better.. even just a 60/63 t3 would be an improvement...

On stock turbo engines all you need to do is let the car breath both in and out and keep from pinging and you have a monster for CHEAP
Old 05-22-2003, 12:59 PM
Atheist.

Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker

Originally posted by litle****
Turbo Timer's are far from neccesary, they are just a security feeling.. I can tell you countless cars with stock non intercooled, non by passed/blow off turbo's with over 150k miles that are goin strong.. not to say that if you spend 10 grand on an engine it is worthless, just that it isnt needed for most
turbo timer = for $100, you are stupid not to use one
intercooler = I agree; they are not "necessary"
BOV = cars w/out BOV's use recirculating valves; same function, no sound for everybody to WOW at!
Old 05-22-2003, 02:04 PM
I <3 Hikki Chan!

Default here's my rebuttle

keep in mind this car's going to be a daily driver...i'm not in it to make huge power, so thus i'm sticking with the ball bearing t28...i love driving almost as much as i love breathing, so im keeping the cat...i might be sacrificing a few hp here, but that's okay by me...i already have the listed parts so i probably won't be getting any thing different...w/ exception of an electronic boost control...i contacted Jim Wolf Technology about the Cobra MAF, and they are reprogramming my ECU for it, i just have to get their adapter kit to splice into the wiring harness...as for my suspension and brakes...

i have my suspension on back order from Options Auto Salon: Tein HE Coilovers a Do-Luck interior cross bar and front and rear sway bars, and probably Cusco A- arms... (i stole this setup from Signal Auto's Drift 180SX)

as for brakes, Project u rotors and Project u HC titanium pads...i may or may not stick with the 4 lug hub, and if i don't stick with it, i'm going to switch to 300zx tt front brakes
Old 05-22-2003, 02:42 PM
eng
Administrator

eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng

Originally posted by Skywalker
intercooler = I agree; they are not "necessary"
Unless you're well under 10PSI it's pretty must stupid not to have one. You're losing TONS of power to heat up the air to that pressure.
Old 05-22-2003, 04:14 PM
RS Doscientos

litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic

.... a intercooler might give me a gain of 10 hp.. it isnt anywhere close to "stupid" and you might want to tell the guys running in the 10's with out a IC and a nice little t-88 that they are "stupid" as well.. but thats just me..

And why keep the t-28? a hybrid will probably spool 500rpm slower if that.. and you will have a massive top end pull when it starts flowing to anywhere close to its peak, instead of reaching the max before the redline.. just my thought..
Old 05-22-2003, 04:52 PM

mpg9999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by litle****
.... a intercooler might give me a gain of 10 hp.. it isnt anywhere close to "stupid" and you might want to tell the guys running in the 10's with out a IC and a nice little t-88 that they are "stupid" as well.. but thats just me..

And why keep the t-28? a hybrid will probably spool 500rpm slower if that.. and you will have a massive top end pull when it starts flowing to anywhere close to its peak, instead of reaching the max before the redline.. just my thought..
10 hp with an intercooler? Its alot more then that, and it also helps prevent detonation. He will also loose more then 500 rpm of spool up time. A BB T28 spools up very fast.

Also, the Cobra MAF is fine. You can use a cobra or a Z32.

Quick Reply: SR20DET questions