Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

sr20det problems..

Old 08-03-2004, 09:41 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bonomo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default sr20det problems..

hey i got a ? for yall i put a new manifold on my sr and alot of shit went wrong first my turbo started to wine..then i started to hear ticking form my sr head. i got oil and oil pressure and there is good oil flow through the turbo but the one thing im worried about is the ticking in the head it goes away when driving at a high rpm then comes back sometimes when its idling what do u think..
Old 08-03-2004, 09:50 AM
Registered Member

Greaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sr20det problems..

replied in pm....hope you get it fixed. if not, lemme hear it and i'll tell you if its normal.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:20 AM
eng
Administrator

eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng

So what were your suggestions for the ticking?
Old 08-03-2004, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

Greaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond repute

i dont feel like typing it again. bonomo post up the pm.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

Bonomo is an unknown quantity at this point

How long was the car sitting? if the hydraulic lifters lost supply of oil then they can loose the ability to adjust the valve contact correctly and "click". how loud is the clicking? if its anything louder than you've ever heard, then take off the valve cover and look for missing parts from the valvetrain. overrevving past 7500 will surely throw rocker arms and shims.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:33 PM
Justa lil 6

Dang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the rough

sounds like a rod knock to me but thats just my opinion when i heard the noise
Old 08-03-2004, 07:45 PM
Old School Beast

PoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by JDM_EF8
sounds like a rod knock to me but thats just my opinion when i heard the noise
ouch , hope not for his sake.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:03 AM
eg master

BIGBALLS is an unknown quantity at this point

what manifold and how thick is it ive seen certain manifold have ticking noise due to thin walls them allowing the noise to be easil heard but i could tell you because i havent heard the ticking
Old 08-05-2004, 05:39 AM
Lost Cat Magnet

drifterJERRY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bonomo
How long was the car sitting? if the hydraulic lifters lost supply of oil then they can loose the ability to adjust the valve contact correctly and "click". how loud is the clicking? if its anything louder than you've ever heard, then take off the valve cover and look for missing parts from the valvetrain. overrevving past 7500 will surely throw rocker arms and shims.
the ticking happens a lot when getting import engines that have been sitting on the docks/whse. for a while. i have had two SR's do this. just let it run for a while and it will eventually clear up. the ticking is a little louder than the injectors which are VERY loud on the SR. if it sounds like metal on metal cantact than i would be weary of doing anything else.

was the motor running fine before the work? if so then the air issue is more than likely your problem.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:38 AM
Registered Member

so is the tick still there. sorry i didnt pick up your phone call. missed it both times then was working hard on garage.

Quick Reply: sr20det problems..