Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

SR20det Lifter Tick

Old 07-08-2006, 05:05 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
H22Hatch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SR20det Lifter Tick

I have a semi loud ticking coming from the valve cover, and when I took the valve cover off to check the lifters for air, two of them were mushy I guess you would say. Is there any way to get the air out without taking my cams off and manually pumping up the lifters? Also does anyone know if it would cause and internal damage to the motor if I were to drive it to a shop and have them fix the problem, or hurt anything just running it in my driveway?
Old 07-08-2006, 09:46 AM
eng
Administrator

eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng
Default Re: SR20det Lifter Tick

Taken from here (in case hotlinking of the image doesn't work)
Does your SR20 have a "TAP-A-TAP-A-TAP-A-TAP" noise? The most likely suspect is air in the lifters. If you look at my finger location in the picture, I'm pushing down on the back of the rocker arm on the section that rides above the lifter. While pressing, if you feel any movement, you have air in that specific lifter. SR20 lifters are hydraulic but can not bleed themselves like most hydraulic lifters. To bleed your lifters you must remove your valve cover, the cams, and rocker arms. Pull the lifter out of its sleeve making note not to tilt it sideways, submerse it in oil, and insert a thin piece of rigid metal inside the hole on top of the lifter. Keep in mind, entire lifter must be completely submersed in oil. You will feel a groove with your metal probe, if you press down it will compress the internal mechanism. Do this repeatedly, many times, or until it doesn't depress anymore. Carefully insert it back into the sleeve without tipping it so that air does not enter it. Reinstall the rocker arms, cams, and valve cover and listen to see if the noise persists.

Short answer, if there is air in the lash adjusters you have to take them out to get rid of the air. As long as you don't rev high or push the engine hard everything should be fine. It's not unheard of people leaving the adjusters alone for years and living with the ticking, but I personally wouldn't suggest doing it.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:53 AM
I Sell Tires

Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel

greatest article ever. this is what was wrong wiht my car. so happy i didnt sell it. lol

o btw i saw ur brother a few days ago eng.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:15 AM
Registered Member

sprack is on a distinguished road

damn EJ did i call it or what haha
Old 07-08-2006, 10:30 AM
I Sell Tires

Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel

Originally Posted by sprack
damn EJ did i call it or what haha
why yes, yes you did lol
Old 07-10-2006, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

H22Hatch is an unknown quantity at this point

Well thanks for all your help guys, but even better, I check for air and its in two of the lifters. I started the car after I had checked and yesterday Im taking everything apart and right before I go to loosen the cams, I checked again to see which ones have air and they are all hard as a rock?? So I put it back together and start it but its still making the noise....Is it possible they have air but it just felt hard then, or maybe its the timing chain?
Old 07-11-2006, 12:14 AM
Fidel runs VBPD

The_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud of

lifters are prob bad and not holding a prime?
Old 07-11-2006, 01:31 PM
eng
Administrator

eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng

Originally Posted by H22Hatch
Is it possible they have air but it just felt hard then, or maybe its the timing chain?
It's possible it is the timing chain, but far less common than the lash adjusters. When the timing chain is wonky it's usually much louder than when the lash adjusters have air in them.

My guess (since you said they were mushy before) is that you ran the engine long enough to heat up whatever air was in the adjusters which caused it to expand and made them more difficult to depress. Try that test again a few times to make sure it is or isn't air in the adjusters before you decide to take the head apart.

The injectors are another common noise maker you can look into.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:03 PM
Banned

skott is an unknown quantity at this point

do teh SR's have the same prob as the KA's w/ the giudes making that rattling noise??? Just wondering...
skott