Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Sohc Vtec

Old 11-25-2003, 04:30 PM
squeegee my fiji

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
†Specter† †Specter† †Specter†
Default Sohc Vtec

could someone explain in moderate terms how an engine like mine with SOHC VTEC works? i understand what the acronym means, lol, but i would appreciate a quasi-laymens term description of how VTEC works, when, and what it does..

sorry if i sound like a newb! i still kinda am.

-carson
Old 11-25-2003, 06:49 PM
corona connessuer

CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA

ill explain it tomorrow....im too damn tired....goin to bed!
Old 11-25-2003, 06:54 PM
E for Engourged.

4BangerCivic has disabled reputation

chahonda'll tel ya better than most can.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:06 PM
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike

SOHC VTEC only alters valve timing on the intake side. keeps the intake valves open longer/further once you hit VTEC. helps maximize high rpm torque.......just lets the motor breathe better in the higher RPM's...
Old 11-26-2003, 12:27 AM

mysiqu is an unknown quantity at this point

-sohc vtec= slow
-but a fun motor to play around with
Old 11-26-2003, 05:00 AM
corona connessuer

CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA

ok here goes........

on a sohc vtec motor you have 2 exhaust lobes on the cam as well as 3 intake lobes on the cam. during low rpm driving(generally below 5500rpm) the motor acts just like a non-vtec engine. keeping within the strict emissions standards that were set for that model year car. ok on to vtec, when the engine is driven(not just revved) to 5500 rpm or higher the computer starts to read applicable sensors (vehicle speed sensor, vtec oil pressure switch, coolant temp switch, ect.....) and if everything checks out ok then it opens the vtec selonoid and sends oil to the rocker assembly hence activating the third intake lobe on the cam. now most generally know that the vtec lobes are of increased lift and duration. while also at the same time the ecu also adjusts the fuel delivery and timing to match the vtec lobes greater lift and duration. so basically at 5500 rpm it just like swapping out your camshaft for one that has more aggressive profiles.

like i mentioned before, vtec will not engage if the car is not motion. this is where the VSS comes into play. vtec will not engage if oil pressure is low, and i have also heard that it will not engage if the coolant temp is not correct. (im not for certain on that last one??)

well i hope that this has helped you understand all that is vtec!

stay tuned people...next week we will discuss the new and improved vtec-i or possibly the gas mizer vtec-e. thank you for tuning in for this edition of CHAMORRO MOTOR SPORTS. see ya next week!
Old 11-26-2003, 05:48 AM
Registered Member

Not_Blazin is an unknown quantity at this point

<clap, clap, clap>

Old 11-26-2003, 06:07 AM
corona connessuer

Originally posted by 04_Blazin
<clap, clap, clap>

THANK YOU!!!
Old 11-26-2003, 06:12 AM
Asshole Supreme

S dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud of

No, engagement will not take place if the engine coolant temperature is not in at "normal" operating temperature.
Old 11-26-2003, 06:13 AM
got poi?

tropic is an unknown quantity at this point

good one.....!!!!!.....island folks whoohoooo

Quick Reply: Sohc Vtec