VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   Sohc Vtec (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/sohc-vtec-33079/)

†Specter† 11-25-2003 04:30 PM

Sohc Vtec

could someone explain in moderate terms how an engine like mine with SOHC VTEC works? i understand what the acronym means, lol, but i would appreciate a quasi-laymens term description of how VTEC works, when, and what it does..

sorry if i sound like a newb! i still kinda am.

-carson

CHAHONDA 11-25-2003 06:49 PM

ill explain it tomorrow....im too damn tired....goin to bed!

4BangerCivic 11-25-2003 06:54 PM

chahonda'll tel ya better than most can.

sk8rmike 11-25-2003 09:06 PM

SOHC VTEC only alters valve timing on the intake side. keeps the intake valves open longer/further once you hit VTEC. helps maximize high rpm torque.......just lets the motor breathe better in the higher RPM's...

mysiqu 11-26-2003 12:27 AM

-sohc vtec= slow
-but a fun motor to play around with

CHAHONDA 11-26-2003 05:00 AM

ok here goes........

on a sohc vtec motor you have 2 exhaust lobes on the cam as well as 3 intake lobes on the cam. during low rpm driving(generally below 5500rpm) the motor acts just like a non-vtec engine. keeping within the strict emissions standards that were set for that model year car. ok on to vtec, when the engine is driven(not just revved) to 5500 rpm or higher the computer starts to read applicable sensors (vehicle speed sensor, vtec oil pressure switch, coolant temp switch, ect.....) and if everything checks out ok then it opens the vtec selonoid and sends oil to the rocker assembly hence activating the third intake lobe on the cam. now most generally know that the vtec lobes are of increased lift and duration. while also at the same time the ecu also adjusts the fuel delivery and timing to match the vtec lobes greater lift and duration. so basically at 5500 rpm it just like swapping out your camshaft for one that has more aggressive profiles.

like i mentioned before, vtec will not engage if the car is not motion. this is where the VSS comes into play. vtec will not engage if oil pressure is low, and i have also heard that it will not engage if the coolant temp is not correct. (im not for certain on that last one??)

well i hope that this has helped you understand all that is vtec!:D

stay tuned people...next week we will discuss the new and improved vtec-i or possibly the gas mizer vtec-e. thank you for tuning in for this edition of CHAMORRO MOTOR SPORTS. see ya next week!:p :hi:

Not_Blazin 11-26-2003 05:48 AM

<clap, clap, clap>

:beer:

CHAHONDA 11-26-2003 06:07 AM

Originally posted by 04_Blazin
<clap, clap, clap>

:beer:

THANK YOU!!!:D

S dot Camp 11-26-2003 06:12 AM

No, engagement will not take place if the engine coolant temperature is not in at "normal" operating temperature.

tropic 11-26-2003 06:13 AM

good one.....!!!!!.....island folks whoohoooo