Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

skunk2 sleeves on stock shocks HELp plz!!

Old 03-13-2010, 08:11 PM
WFT IS GOIN ON HERE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jdm-Jason Jdm-Jason Jdm-Jason Jdm-Jason Jdm-Jason
Default skunk2 sleeves on stock shocks HELp plz!!

im goin to order a set of skunk2 sleeves for my 99 si and was wondering if i should install them on my stock shock or just wait for a month or two and install them on tokico blues. if i install them on stock shocks do they ride shitty? do they blow out the stock shocks quickly b/c the discription says that they are designed for stock or aftermarket shocks? thanx for the help
Old 03-13-2010, 08:28 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: skunk2 sleeves on stock shocks HELp plz!!

When it says "designed for aftermarket or stock shocks" that often means that they will fit without modification. The spring perches on stock shocks are sometimes different from aftermarket because the ends of the springs are sometimes different.

If the Skunk2 springs are a higher spring rate than the stock springs, they will wear out the stock shocks quicker. If they're significantly higher spring rate, they'll often blow the stock shocks. Your car's stock shocks are already 11 years old, so they're not exactly fresh anyway.

If you know that you're getting the Tokicos fairly soon, just save yourself the extra work and put the springs on when you get the Tokicos. Then you can leave the stock springs/shocks as an assembly, and have them as still-functional backups if you need them.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:34 PM
WFT IS GOIN ON HERE

Jdm-Jason Jdm-Jason Jdm-Jason Jdm-Jason Jdm-Jason

the owner b4 me had just replaced the stock shocks back to oem b/c the owner b4 him had them sittin on the same setup that i had since that they are fairly new would it be ok for the stock shock set up.

and i was reading more and sum ppl said that the blues and sleeves are a shitty set up. what is another budget brand (not lookin for ebay shits lol.)
Old 03-13-2010, 08:49 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

I've never tried the HPs ("blues") so I can't compare them to anything. KYB AGXs are a pretty good strut for the money, they're more expensive but also slightly adjustable. I think the Tokico Illuminas are about the same price. A step above that in price and performance are Konis Sports ("yellows").

Last edited by Fabrik8; 03-13-2010 at 08:58 PM.