Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Signs of a helical LSD differential going bad?

Old 04-27-2010, 06:22 PM
Fuckinitupagain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strychnine is a splendid one to beholdStrychnine is a splendid one to beholdStrychnine is a splendid one to beholdStrychnine is a splendid one to beholdStrychnine is a splendid one to beholdStrychnine is a splendid one to beholdStrychnine is a splendid one to beholdStrychnine is a splendid one to behold
Default Signs of a helical LSD differential going bad?

Do they make some sort of sound when they are going bad? I've been hearing this whining/whirling noise and it seems to be drivetrain related, and I can't figure out what it might be.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:02 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Signs of a helical LSD differential going bad?

Does the noise change when you're turning, and have you ruled out a wheel bearing problem?
Old 04-30-2010, 06:08 PM
Fuckinitupagain

Strychnine is a splendid one to beholdStrychnine is a splendid one to beholdStrychnine is a splendid one to beholdStrychnine is a splendid one to beholdStrychnine is a splendid one to beholdStrychnine is a splendid one to beholdStrychnine is a splendid one to beholdStrychnine is a splendid one to behold

Nah it's not wheel bearing related. I know what that sounds like and I just replaced them. The noise is only when it's in gear. I can't tell if it's in the higher rpm's(above 3k, redline is 6.2k) because of the engine/exhaust gets louder and may be drowning it out.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:24 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

So it makes the noise when the car is in gear and moving. Is it the same in all gears, and does it change when you turn? It may be something as simple as a throwout bearing or pilot bearing.

Oh, wait, nevermind.. If it's an LSD problem, it should make that noise anytime the car moves, regardless of whether the car is in gear or not. The LSD can't be disengaged from the wheels; it's on the output side of the transmission. It will also make a different amount of noise (more or less, depending) during a turn because there will be a speed difference between the two output shafts.

So I think it's probably not the LSD.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 04-30-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:00 PM
hungry

Rueben Rueben Rueben Rueben Rueben Rueben Rueben Rueben Rueben Rueben Rueben

it could be the input shaft on your transmission, mine made whurring noises and I couldnt figure it out until my tranny blew