Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

b16 issue...

Old 04-27-2010, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SYCKDC23 has disabled reputation
Default b16 issue...

Saturday night i was drivin one of my cars. motor is b16. was driving in 5th gear not gettin on it or anything, but i was speeding up to pass someone and the car wouldn't go past 60... So i dropped it to 4th and still the same thing. Car began to lose power as i pulled to the side of the road, the car cut off and I could not start. When I got it towed to friends house i took off the timing belt cover and the belt has about 5 inches of teeth missing. ( keep in mind while coming to a stop the car sounded perfect, even with me still gasing it. no knocks or anything )

My question is.... if the belt with the part with no teeth was on the pulley or whatever that turns first would that stop it from starting... because if it just jumps timing it should still be able to start correct? when i try to start it, the cams dont turns or anything. I have bought a new timing belt and tensioner.... should this fix the problem? second question is ... is my head fucked? I keep hearing my valves are gonna be bent. and possibly the pistons are messed up... the car sounded find coming to a stop... ugh i just need this fixed.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:17 PM
management

boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom
Default Re: b16 issue...

if you keep trying to start it, your head will be fucked. its a good idea to get it machined now to avoid bent valves once you replace the timing belt and start driving it.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:25 PM
Registered Member

well if im going to take the head off period and get anythign machined i might as well get my gsr head machined lol.... I just dont see how it will bend the valves if i keep starting it... if the cams arent moving, how would the valves be moving?
Old 04-27-2010, 07:43 PM
management

boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom

if your cams arent moving, there is a good chance the head is already fucked. the b16 head imo is a better flowing head stock for stock than a gsr
Old 04-27-2010, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

but about all the missing teeth, how can the belt turn the cam gears if the belt has no teeth to grip on to anything
Old 04-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Ramey Built

JB@RameyBuilt JB@RameyBuilt JB@RameyBuilt JB@RameyBuilt JB@RameyBuilt JB@RameyBuilt JB@RameyBuilt JB@RameyBuilt JB@RameyBuilt JB@RameyBuilt JB@RameyBuilt

Depending on how much it jumped timing it wont start. You probably bent some valves. You say the cams aren't turning which means the valves aren't opening and closing. Your pistons are still moving up and down when your trying to start it though. Whatever valves were left open when the timing belt took a shit are most likely bent due to the piston hitting them.

Do a leak down test and that will tell you if you've done some damage.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:23 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Don't try to start the engine. Period.

The timing belt is fucked, you're not going to make the engine run properly, and you're likely to damage the engine further. I was assuming that this would be common sense, but you've already tried to start it with the missing teeth...

Last edited by Fabrik8; 04-27-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:58 PM
CPL Us Army

jpick_aap_cpp has disabled reputation

Pull the head inspection the top of the pistons & inspect the head. Take your time inspecting the head, you want a hand let me know i can find a ride when i get off work or something. If you jumped that much on the timing belt you def. fucked something up clutch! Not worth messing up the whole engine more than it could possibly be. Time to pull the head off & see what all has to be replaced!
Old 04-28-2010, 11:13 AM
Registered Member

my life. is over.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:16 AM
CPL Us Army

jpick_aap_cpp has disabled reputation

$1000 i'll pull my b16 out the coupe for you..

Quick Reply: b16 issue...