Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

short in wiring system

Old 02-25-2004, 12:20 PM
Captain night owl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger
Default short in wiring system

so ive been having problems with abs/ and car turning off and on.
ok AZ told me that my battery and alternator is fine.
car starts, and when power goes out it comes right back on.
sooo theres a short somewhere, im thinking it has to do with my abs. but i have no fucking clue about electrical systems, how to check, how to fix, where to look... any help?
Old 02-26-2004, 09:12 AM
Captain night owl

vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger
Default Re: short in wiring system

Old 02-26-2004, 08:29 PM
....im sure.

nastywidowteg is an unknown quantity at this point

get a voltmeter and check all of your fuses in your fuse box....should tell you something...
Old 02-27-2004, 03:12 AM
FredVegas

B16ASilverHonda has a spectacular aura aboutB16ASilverHonda has a spectacular aura about

no go get a test light, hook it to a ground and test all your fuses in your fuse box, its easier cause its just a light telling you if its good or bad. Now as far as your short, take it to honda or take it to a mechanic you know who is good with eletrical and have him find it, sounds like you have a wiring harness issue to me.
Old 02-28-2004, 06:08 AM
Iridium V

MGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond repute

You should be able to use a test light or a multimeter to test the fuses, The test light will be more complicated to use, you'll have to ground it and check for voltage on each side of the fuse, where as the multimeter you will check for continuity using the test prongs on the fuse. (Note two metal tabs on the top of the fuse. I don't think it's a fuse problem, fuses go, they don't give intermittent problems. I agree, a wiring harness issue is your problem, but I don't think it has anything to do with your ABS. What you're going to want to do is look at your ignition system first, this is the most likely problem. Plug wires not so much, but the harness going to distributor/coil/ignitor. When the problem occurs, you're going to want to find your voltage drop. I doubt you are loosing injector pulse so that would be the last thing to look at. Also you might want to think about the possibility that ignition components tend to fail when hot, IE Coil, control module etc. My 2 cents.