Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Shaking in my steering wheel? (96 Camry LE 4cyl-Auto)

Old 07-28-2009, 02:38 AM
HF rex in the w0rkz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
zErrixGTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Shaking in my steering wheel? (96 Camry LE 4cyl-Auto)

Thanks for looking @ my posting.

OK! Recently I replaced all motors mounts in my 1996 Toyota Camry, besides the transmission mount (the material was soft, but wasn't ripped, so i saw no need to replace? maybe i'm mistaken?).

The brakes were re-done, all new rotors & pads all the way around. My suggestion is that it could possibly be either the tire/s? (but i can't seem to find a bump/titty in ANY of my tires...) or maybe the axle/s? I'm also missing an axle nut on the front passenger wheel, but i don't think this could be it?

The reason why I suggest the axle or axles, is because when i was raising the engine up with an engine hoist to change the motor mounts, i never disconnected the axles to do so, as 1: i was told it wasn't necessary, and 2: it made clearance fairly easily. Not to mention, unless ALL of my tires need replacing (and none of them look it??), my steering wheel shakes before 1 tire can even make a full rotation :\

Anyone have any suggestions as to what the shaking might be? When I make slight lefts & rights, it sounds like my rotors are rubbing against the metal brake-dust plate? But when i'm turning completely, doesn't make any funny noises... please help! i'm a bit low on cash, and need some suggestions, as I don't wanna be takin things apart and possibly break somethin.

Car is a 1996, Toyota Camry LE (4 Cylinder - Automatic). Car has roughly 195,000 miles on it, engine is a newer engine along with transmission. Front motor mount, Rear motor mount, & torque strut mount have all been replaced. Front brakes & rotors, Rear brakes & rotors have all been replaced. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks again!
Old 07-28-2009, 02:55 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT
Default Re: Shaking in my steering wheel? (96 Camry LE 4cyl-Auto)

could quite possibly be the steering column, considering the car shakes before you can even get a full rotation of a tire I would think its coming from an instant feedback source, like the column. There are bushings and holding pins in the columns that link it to the power steering rack, maybe those are worn or loose or something. The first thing i would do is PUT SOME AXLE NUTS ON THERE, slight movement in the axles could result in vibration, especially when turning.the nut holds it in place against the hub,it could be going back and forth and causing the problem.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:58 AM
HF rex in the w0rkz

zErrixGTR is an unknown quantity at this point

Also, i forgot to mention, my car does a slight lean to the left as if the alignment is off. Would this be due to the fact that i didn't replace the transmission mount? and as far axle nuts go, i'll be sure to try and get 1 on there asap.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:37 AM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

When I was looking at my 93 camry to buy it I thought I read somwhere the steering setup goes wrong after awhile. Toyotanation will give you a better chance of getting help also.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:03 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Tires can wear unevenly (out of round) if the alignment is off. You said it's doing it at very low speed though, so although that is a problem it is probably not the problem you're hearing. I suspect it's likely that you have a bad wheel bearing, which can make noise no matter what the speed. If there is play in the bearing, the brake rotor can drag on the pad while turning, etc. I've been going through the same thing very recently with my WRX with one of the front wheel bearings and it sounds very similar to what you're describing. Definitely worth looking into.