Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Power steering pump question, violent shaking of wheel

Old 02-16-2005, 03:23 PM
Custom User Title

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mnchvgs79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Power steering pump question, violent shaking of wheel

Today I installed a new power steering pump on my truck, the motor is a 302 and the rack is a mustang II power rack. I followed the instructions that came with the pump, they said to leave the return line disconnected, start the motor and pour fluid into the resevoir while turning the steering wheel back and forth until the fluid goes clear, which it did automatically because the entire front end on the truck is all brand new parts. well, I connected the return line back up and started the truck, as soon as I touched the steering wheel it started to voilently turn back and forth FAST.

Anyone have any idea what this could be? I am baffled.... would it be a defective pump?
Old 02-16-2005, 03:39 PM
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike
Default Re: Power steering pump question, violent shaking of wheel

probably air in the lines. i know a lot of the ford ps racks suck up air when you turn the wheels back and forth with the car off and the air bubbles make the steering wheel jerky as hell for a little bit till it clears out, maybe thats it? just keep turning the shit left and right until it works the air out.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:55 PM
Custom User Title

I just talked to a guy at a hotrod shop and he said I hooked the pressure and return lines up backward... There are 2 holes on the rack, one large and one small, I have the pressure line going into the large hole and the return line into the small hole. I had the hoses made by a local shop to my specs, now I dont know if I had them made right or not, I assumed the larger hole was the pressure side.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:00 AM
Custom User Title

ttt
Old 02-17-2005, 04:27 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

the larger port is the return. i know this cause i am doing two MII racks on street rods right now, ones on a 36 Ford Coupe and the other is on a 36 Chevrolet.

since you are using a ford pump, i assume you dont have a pressure regulator inline? usually you have to run one with a GM pump, but not fords.

switcheroo the lines, and you should be fine (i have had that happen a few times before, mainly on older (67ish) mustangs with power steering cylinders....if you hook the lines backward, you can break your arm if you dont watch it with the steerign wheel when you start it
Old 02-17-2005, 04:29 AM
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by fc735
the larger port is the return. i know this cause i am doing two MII racks on street rods right now, ones on a 36 Ford Coupe and the other is on a 36 Chevrolet.

since you are using a ford pump, i assume you dont have a pressure regulator inline? usually you have to run one with a GM pump, but not fords.

switcheroo the lines, and you should be fine (i have had that happen a few times before, mainly on older (67ish) mustangs with power steering cylinders....if you hook the lines backward, you can break your arm if you dont watch it with the steerign wheel when you start it

Awesome, I guess I wont be assuming anything anymore, that freakin steering wheel almost ripped my arm off last night.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:29 AM
Custom User Title

THANKS! I appreciate it
Old 02-17-2005, 07:50 AM
Custom User Title

Problem figured out, I called Fatman Fabrications and sure enough the small hole is pressure and large is return.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:32 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

aaaaaaaaaaahhhahhaahahaa....the dipshits didnt listen to me!

i was workin on a powerstroke, and i hear the 36 ford cranking over. i look up in time to watch the engine fire, and the wheel whip like a mad bitch! i told him it was the Ford Gods angry at him for putting a SBC in it for motivation

he did the same thing, and i TOLD him it was the other way. glad to see people listen to me