Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Scrapping a car..

Old 05-15-2015, 06:18 PM
LET THE HATE FLOW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass
Default Re: Scrapping a car..

Siphon as much of that shit out as you can first, then fill it with water. You can get plastic tubing at a hardware store for next to nothing and you don't need but 10 or so feet at most. Take safety to the extreme, to where it is unnecessary even. Better safe than sorry.

Last edited by Yardjass; 05-15-2015 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:46 PM
C.R.E.A.M

DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM

Originally Posted by SyedUmarAhmad
would a punch still cause a spark if hit with a hammer to the tank? I have some laying around, i know brass will be safe although i'd have to go out and buy a piece..

i'm also reading that filling the tank with water will help decrease the fumes in case a spark does fly up.. If im not mistaken there is literally less than an 1/8th tank of gas left in there so how much water should I be dumping in there ??
Id fill the tank up with water, and use a very small drill bit on the side of the tank and keep filling it up with water until it drains.

Also if the scrap yard has a tow truck coming to pick the car up for you, id say fuck it and leave that shit in there. No truck driver is gonna inspect it, and if he does tell that heeb to get fucked.

Honestly this shit seems harder than it is, I wouldn't waste my time or effort on this shit just for a few bucks. Car would be towed late at night either into a parking lot or on a side road left, or dump that shit in the hood on a side street car will never come back.

Last edited by DOOM; 05-15-2015 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:28 AM
Fitty Tuckin

-JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB-

If that tank is plastic, then drill a hole. Metal tank, you a punch and deadblow hammer.

Last resort, use a drill bit but I would put grease on the bit from any chance of it sparking.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:55 AM
Registered Member

cardana24 cardana24 cardana24 cardana24 cardana24 cardana24 cardana24 cardana24 cardana24 cardana24 cardana24
Default Re: Scrappng a car..

Originally Posted by RatchetGoon
Damn ffx sucks. Summit recycling in fxburg pays $20 /100lbs. They want coolant/ trans n oil drained. They never told me about refrigerants..
Good grief that's awesome, have you scrapped anything there recently? I have never used them but the place I normally goes to do not pay anywhere close to that, I think I got $9 per 100 last time I scrapped a car.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:25 PM
Indelible Anomaly

RatchetGoon RatchetGoon RatchetGoon RatchetGoon RatchetGoon RatchetGoon RatchetGoon RatchetGoon RatchetGoon RatchetGoon RatchetGoon

^^^ I scrapped a dead transmission , cams , and pair of heads from another f-150 for $35. They weigh the car as u drive in, drop ur scrap (unless it's copper, u can get more for that elsewhere) and get weighed on the way out... Take ur ticket, go inside and get a check.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:08 AM
Fitty Tuckin

-JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB-

My local scrap yard is at $5/100 but I had to clean up behind the garage as it was irritating me to see junk piled up.

I took 3000lbs last weekend. Scrapped an old Jeep tub and frame that was beyond fixing and an 8ft bed of scrap metal

Pic of the Jeep. Operator threw it on top of their pile so it looks like one last climb to the top of a mountain for the ole Jeep

Old 05-20-2015, 06:58 AM
Registered Member

cardana24 cardana24 cardana24 cardana24 cardana24 cardana24 cardana24 cardana24 cardana24 cardana24 cardana24

Originally Posted by RatchetGoon
^^^ I scrapped a dead transmission , cams , and pair of heads from another f-150 for $35. They weigh the car as u drive in, drop ur scrap (unless it's copper, u can get more for that elsewhere) and get weighed on the way out... Take ur ticket, go inside and get a check.
Oh I know how it works, I usually make 2 trips a year. I was just surprised at how much he said he was being paid for scrap. Most places are about a 1/4 of that, like JB posted. I would love to find a place that is not too far away that pays more.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:54 AM
Registered member

SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad

not sure what the rate was for the place I ended up taking it to but for the entire car minus random parts and all interior and wheels/tires, they paid me $175 which I thought was not bad at all,
Considering most "junk car" buyers were only offering $200 and that was they wanted the whole car with everything included like wheels, interior, engine, etc.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:40 AM
Registered Member

jpcoates has disabled reputation

Cant you just rip out the A/C lines and trash them. As for gas, it will evaporate if you give it a chance. you could drop the tank, open it up and leave it in the sun. The gas should dissipate pretty quickly.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:52 AM
Registered Member

boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge

When I lived in Lynchburg, I had a junk vehicle I needed removed, and didn't have a title. Dude paid me $250 for the car, didn't ask for a title, came by, put it on his trailer, handed me $250 cash, we exchanged thank you's, and he left. I would look for a "junk removal" service and see what they can do for you. Even if you don't make any money, and they haul it away for free, that's a win-win in my book.

Quick Reply: Scrapping a car..