Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Scrapping a car..

Old 05-12-2015, 06:55 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad
Default Scrapping a car..

So I will need to scrap a parts car I am done with by the end of this week which I've never done before, and I just had a few questions for the procedure. The scrap yard 'm taking it to requires that:
*ALL the fluid be removed from the vehicle
*battery
*tires
*Freon
*and a hole must be made in the gas tank.

now for the fluids I think have a good idea of what needs to be flushed; engine, trans, differential, brake, windshield wash, and coolant- am I missing anything?

Secondly, for the Freon removal, I am reading on most sites that it is best to have this professionally done at a shop... is this true? The whole car is being scrapped so I am not worried about damaging anything. I am wondering if there is an easy way to do this or maybe I can just rip the entire AC system out?

and finally, I am wondering what might be the best/safest way to cut in to the gas tank? I read online someone filled their tank with water, I guess to "dilute" the gas and then used a drill bit.. no idea if that would actually work

any help is much appreciated
Old 05-12-2015, 10:57 AM
GLHF

WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo
Default Re: Scrappng a car..

If you take it to pick and pull, you don't have to worry about doing any of that stuff. They do it all on site.

I wouldn't just punch a hole in the AC lines because freon is oily and will spray everywhere. But, if you can do it and not get it on yourself, it would be really easy. If you know anyone that does AC work, it is VERY easy to put a vacuum on it and suck it out.

I can't give you advice on the gas tank. But filling it with water would be easy enough if that would actually do something.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:40 AM
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER

Originally Posted by SyedUmarAhmad
So I will need to scrap a parts car I am done with by the end of this week which I've never done before, and I just had a few questions for the procedure. The scrap yard 'm taking it to requires that:
*ALL the fluid be removed from the vehicle
*battery
*tires
*Freon
*and a hole must be made in the gas tank.

now for the fluids I think have a good idea of what needs to be flushed; engine, trans, differential, brake, windshield wash, and coolant- am I missing anything?

Secondly, for the Freon removal, I am reading on most sites that it is best to have this professionally done at a shop... is this true? The whole car is being scrapped so I am not worried about damaging anything. I am wondering if there is an easy way to do this or maybe I can just rip the entire AC system out?

and finally, I am wondering what might be the best/safest way to cut in to the gas tank? I read online someone filled their tank with water, I guess to "dilute" the gas and then used a drill bit.. no idea if that would actually work

any help is much appreciated
that scrapyard sounds like a pain in the dick...

I literally brinmg mine to a yard off witchduck, they grab it with a claw, throw it on a pile and it's done. fuck draining anything,
Old 05-12-2015, 11:42 AM
A.K.A Jebus

Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo

I've just been told to drain the oil
Old 05-12-2015, 11:48 AM
Registered member

SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad

Originally Posted by WutupYo
If you take it to pick and pull, you don't have to worry about doing any of that stuff. They do it all on site.

I wouldn't just punch a hole in the AC lines because freon is oily and will spray everywhere. But, if you can do it and not get it on yourself, it would be really easy. If you know anyone that does AC work, it is VERY easy to put a vacuum on it and suck it out.

I can't give you advice on the gas tank. But filling it with water would be easy enough if that would actually do something.
I would cept I parted out more than 50% of the car so most places are refusing to take it, I have no choice but to scrap it. I cant take it to a shop either (without towing that is) for the Freon because the car is immobile. For the gas tank I did some research and I believe they came with a drain plug on the 93 525is so if that's the case I can probably drain it completely then just wack it with a chisel to get the holes in there without risking catching it on fire.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:51 AM
Registered member

Originally Posted by Scotty_Nooo
I've just been told to drain the oil
Originally Posted by BAN HAMMER
that scrapyard sounds like a pain in the dick...

I literally brinmg mine to a yard off witchduck, they grab it with a claw, throw it on a pile and it's done. fuck draining anything,
It is a pain in the dick. If you guys know of a place that doesn't require any of this shit local to nova PLEASE let me know of it.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:00 AM
A.K.A Jebus

Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo Scotty_Nooo

I used the Scrap yard in Fredericksburg before, they just check the oil and pick it up w/ the claw, but it's been a few years since i've scraped a car there.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:58 AM
C.R.E.A.M

DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM

Do you live in a neighborhood? If so push that shit in the street and let the cops get it removed, problem solved.

I've done this once, because a car was left on my property when I bought it. Because the junkyard/scap yard wouldn't take it without a title, I stripped the car and sold parts on craigslist and pushed that shit in the street and was removed within 24hrs.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:18 PM
LET THE HATE FLOW

Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass

Originally Posted by DOOM
Do you live in a neighborhood? If so push that shit in the street and let the cops get it removed, problem solved.

I've done this once, because a car was left on my property when I bought it. Because the junkyard/scap yard wouldn't take it without a title, I stripped the car and sold parts on craigslist and pushed that shit in the street and was removed within 24hrs.
Lol. Not a bad idea.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:12 PM
C.R.E.A.M

DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM

Originally Posted by Yardjass
Lol. Not a bad idea.
it works flawlessly, car gets removed and tow truck driver can make money off the scrap for his troubles

Quick Reply: Scrapping a car..