Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Scarring on cylinder wall

Old 11-07-2009, 10:48 AM
Not-So-Fatty McFat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC
Default Scarring on cylinder wall

we took the head off a couple weeks ago and i had my neighbor over looking at engine and he noticed my cylinder wall was scarred. all the others are fine, just this one is scarred. how concerned should i be about this?

Old 11-07-2009, 10:53 AM
Registered Member

forced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond reputeforced4gsix3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scarring on cylinder wall

Pics?
Old 11-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Not-So-Fatty McFat

BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC

Originally Posted by forced4gsix3
Pics?
they're not showing up for you?
Old 11-07-2009, 04:54 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Is it really minor surface scratches or actual deep scarring? It doesn't look that bad from the picture, but the real question is what caused it. Have you checked compression?
Usually that's caused by poor ring wear or some type of trapped metal contamination around the rings, so it's not a great thing to have at all. But, it's up to you what you want to do about it. If all the damage has been done in a short amount of time, leaving it alone may make it a lot worse. If the damage has accumulated over a really long time, there may not be any cause for concern any time soon.
Really though, if the compression is fine, and it doesn't look like deep scarring, you'll most likely be fine to leave it alone for a while. Ideally you don't want anything to deep to be removed with a cylinder hone, so take that into consideration. If you think the cylinder will need to be bored to remove it, take care of it now before it gets any worse.

It's just really hard to tell from pictures, especially when the cylinder varnish makes everything look really serious whether it actually is or not.

What engine is that by the way, and how long has it been since a rebuild (if at all)?

Last edited by Fabrik8; 11-07-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Not-So-Fatty McFat

it's a '00 B16b. i doubt it's ever been rebuilt, probably the first time the head has been off. i'll oil down the wall and take pics tomorrow
Old 11-07-2009, 06:46 PM
www.TeamDOHC.org

Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy

Looks fine from the pictures, normal mileage wear is what I see