Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

saturn transmission question

Old 10-21-2005, 11:32 AM
EF turd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DirtyEF is on a distinguished road
Default saturn transmission question

I have 93 sl2 5 speed. The transmission is garbage in it so im going to get one off a car in a junk yard. The question is does it matter if its from a SOHC and my motors a DOHC and can it be a tranny off the newer models where the engine has a black valve cover? Any help or tips is appreciated this is gonna be the first time i took a transmission off. Thanks
Old 10-23-2005, 03:02 AM
EF turd

Default Re: saturn transmission question

bump
Old 10-23-2005, 04:04 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

if i remember, it has to be off a the same engine if i recall. i dont have an interchange manual, but last one i replaced, i had to get the same one that came out of it.

might want to talk to someone in the yard that knows their shit (meaning they know how to read an interchange manual) and see.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:25 AM
brake/steer/throttle

ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek

you have to drop the entire cradle to get the transmission on/off. have fun...
Old 10-23-2005, 06:04 AM
Registered member

Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey

You do have to drop the cradle, but it's really not that big of a deal to do. It doesn't matter what year/model the tranny/car is.. The gear ratios are different between the sohc and dohc transmissions, however matching a sohc tranny with a dohc motor is actually faster due to the better ratios. Pretty straighforward removal. There are 2 bolts at the top that hold the trans to the engine. They are 15mm, there are 2 nuts on top of them that hold various ground wires to the block, they are 13mm. Take them off, then the 15mm bolts. They are usually very tight so a good size breaker bar will help.

Underneath the car there is a brace that holds the block to the tranny. There are 6 bolts total. They are all 13mm. You have to drop the exhaust, they are all 13mm nuts. plus a 15mm nut on the clamp that holds the downpipe to the afformentioned brace.

There are three 8mm bolts that hold on the flywheel cover, and then there are two 15mm bolts that hold the Trans to the block at the bottom. Unplug the reverse neutral switch, and the vehicle speed sensor, then remove the 4 clips that hold on the shift cables. Two hold the outer sleeves to the trans housing, the other two hold the actually shift cables to the shift tower. Remove the 15mm nut that holds the lower trans mount to the engine cradle, and the two 13mm bolts that hold the upper trans mount to the frame.

To remove the cradle there are two 15mm nuts that are inside of 2 holes underneath the car that hold the lower motor mount to the cradle. When you remove the cradle it works best to use 2 zipties around the upper radiator mounts to keep the radiator from falling out, and ofcourse try to fidn something to hold the engine up so it doesn't fall on you. then remove the 3 clips on the back side 2 for the o2 sensor wiring if it has one, and one for the metal brake line that runs along the back of the cradle. You have to brake the lower ball joints loose. they are 18mm. Then take the 4 18mm bolts out of the cradle and it's out. Some years had a big wire retianer at the left front of the cradle that holds down the powertrain harness. Make sure you unhook that if it has one.

Hope this helps.

PS: It's a little out of order, but I'm sure you can figure that out.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:09 AM
EF turd

Originally Posted by Siextreme
You do have to drop the cradle, but it's really not that big of a deal to do. It doesn't matter what year/model the tranny/car is.. The gear ratios are different between the sohc and dohc transmissions, however matching a sohc tranny with a dohc motor is actually faster due to the better ratios. Pretty straighforward removal. There are 2 bolts at the top that hold the trans to the engine. They are 15mm, there are 2 nuts on top of them that hold various ground wires to the block, they are 13mm. Take them off, then the 15mm bolts. They are usually very tight so a good size breaker bar will help.

Underneath the car there is a brace that holds the block to the tranny. There are 6 bolts total. They are all 13mm. You have to drop the exhaust, they are all 13mm nuts. plus a 15mm nut on the clamp that holds the downpipe to the afformentioned brace.

There are three 8mm bolts that hold on the flywheel cover, and then there are two 15mm bolts that hold the Trans to the block at the bottom. Unplug the reverse neutral switch, and the vehicle speed sensor, then remove the 4 clips that hold on the shift cables. Two hold the outer sleeves to the trans housing, the other two hold the actually shift cables to the shift tower. Remove the 15mm nut that holds the lower trans mount to the engine cradle, and the two 13mm bolts that hold the upper trans mount to the frame.

To remove the cradle there are two 15mm nuts that are inside of 2 holes underneath the car that hold the lower motor mount to the cradle. When you remove the cradle it works best to use 2 zipties around the upper radiator mounts to keep the radiator from falling out, and ofcourse try to fidn something to hold the engine up so it doesn't fall on you. then remove the 3 clips on the back side 2 for the o2 sensor wiring if it has one, and one for the metal brake line that runs along the back of the cradle. You have to brake the lower ball joints loose. they are 18mm. Then take the 4 18mm bolts out of the cradle and it's out. Some years had a big wire retianer at the left front of the cradle that holds down the powertrain harness. Make sure you unhook that if it has one.

Hope this helps.

PS: It's a little out of order, but I'm sure you can figure that out.

Saturn <3

So i can actually use a sohc tranny with the dohc? I have to go back to u wrench it (pick n pull or some shit) And see if they have some more saturns put out. i went sunday and all they had was automatics.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:05 AM
Registered member

Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey

yup, sure can
Old 10-24-2005, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

axis45 has disabled reputation

ask these guys any of your saturn questions http://www.turbosaturns.net/
Old 10-24-2005, 04:46 PM
DA LEPRAHKAHNZ GOLLD

TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt

Originally Posted by axis45
i think he has gotten the best info he can get on the matter, siextreme is the fucking man at saturns, knows them inside and out, outside and in. also on a personal/sexual level, sometimes i think its his fetish :-/

Last edited by TheGentleArt; 10-24-2005 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:31 PM
EF turd

Originally Posted by axis45
im not turboing it im just fixing it so i can drive it, and i knew of some saturn experts on this board.

Quick Reply: saturn transmission question