Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Razzi dual exhaust question

Old 08-09-2004, 02:22 PM
livin good in the yc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fizz has disabled reputation
Question Razzi dual exhaust question

I've got an 01 Eclipse Gt and someone over in automotive forums once told me a dual exhaust for my car would make me lose horse power. At the time we were talking about doing a custom dual exhaust since none of us really knew of any company that made one. I found the Razzi Dual Catback and was interested in buying it but remembered what the guy said about losing power. is this true about the power loss?
Old 08-09-2004, 03:48 PM
Motor Trend Mechanic

VT Prix GT 2006 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Razzi dual exhaust question

It depends. Since your FWD you won't have a true dual exhaust system. It all depends on the diameter of the piping you plan on using, since you have nothing but an naturally aspirated V6, you aren't getting that much air into the engine, therefore you aren't having a lot of exhaust gases exiting the engine. The main objective is to be able to put out what you can put in, with that in mind, your exhaust needs to be wide enough to let out all of your exhaust gases, most dumbasses who don't know what they're doing think its ok to get a full 3" exhaust system that way you can always be allowing enough gases to exit. People who do that should be shot in the face.

With an exhaust system, you need to create a vaccum effect, more specifically, you need to be able to "suck" the exhaust gases out when the exhaust valves open. To do that you need to have just the right diameter pipe. Common symptoms of wrong diameter piping is having a very strong low end, but having the car just die out up high, thats a symptom of using a pipe thats too small, another is having piss poor low end but a stronger high end, thats a symptom of having a pipe thats too big.

I'd suggest having a 2.5" pipe, then go into 2.25" after the y-pipe. You should be fine with that custom set up.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:54 PM
Die reinste Bösen.

gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear

exactly what he said. i work on exhaust systems all day. everything he said is dead on fizz.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:22 PM
livin good in the yc

fizz has disabled reputation

aight thanks guys