Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Pullies

Old 01-19-2003, 08:45 PM
poop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate
Default Pullies

Whats involved in installing some pullies... for obvious reasons... should be straight foward. but never removed pullies before, they torqued on pretty damn tight i would assume.
Old 01-19-2003, 09:42 PM
~

nickyroo has disabled reputation

north texas prelude owners group did an install on one and had one hell of a time getting the stock pullies off. check it out..

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/underdrive/pulley.shtml

make sure and read the thing at the very bottom where they weigh the benefits vs the problems too. its pretty interesting.
Old 01-19-2003, 10:11 PM
poop

ya.. ive read all the good/bad ppl say about them.. but im not worried about that at all.

and ya.. i knew the stock ones were gonna be a BITCH to get off.. although. they've only been on my car for about 8k miles.

might not be AS bad. not factory tight.

*edit* thats also the underdrive pulley.. i just got A/C and Powersteering pullies.
Old 01-20-2003, 05:22 AM
brake/steer/throttle

ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek

yeah, that's the debate i've had a number of times. see, even if it's a crank pulley and not a harmonic balancer, you still dick with the balance of your bottom end when add or r&r this part. now, if you're building an engine fresh and balance with one of those pullies, then you'll be fine. it's for reasons as described that i AM a geek!
crate, i'd recommend having one of those honda service tools or at least bring the car to a place that has one to break it loose for you. it IS a bitch! even if you have a 3/4" drive impact...i know from experience...
see ya!
the geek
p.s. ooops, just saw your edit. well, hope ya have a good set of strap wrenches to assist doing your accessory pullies!
Old 01-20-2003, 06:24 AM
poop

ya. from talking... my tool selection is minimal. i might just take her in. dont wanna try using the tools i have and strip something.
Old 01-20-2003, 07:44 AM
Registered Member

drifter is an unknown quantity at this point

Daluded on this board did his alternator and power steering pulleys no problem...he has a prelude w/ the same motor as you...if you have problems getting the crank pulley off, we can do it for you...some of the iridium v members recently removed a pulley that was torqued down so much that a 500ft/lb air hammer couldnt remove it
Old 01-20-2003, 08:16 AM
Atheist.

Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker

It should be alot easier to swap pullies on your car than it would mine. I have only changed a pully an an old 280Z. It wasn't that hard. Make sure you get the right belts. There are a few companies that make ones that are supposed to be stronger than OE belts.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:05 AM
poop

ya.. im not doing crank. just ps and ac. the 2 up front right in fairly easy grabbing distance. shouldnt be too hard. we'll see. ill give it a wurl.
Old 01-20-2003, 10:21 AM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

the power steering pulley will have to be removed and installed with special tools. i wouldn't really know where to find them other than the tool trucks, but i would assume that northern or hampton freight would have something that would work.

for the a/c pulley you'll have to remove the clutch first, and be careful not to damage the magnetic field that engages the clutch when the compressor is running. imo i would almost say that changing this pulley would be absolutely worthless performance-wise when weighted against the difficulty of installation but hey, do your thing. crank pulley would be more beneficial, and easier to install though.

if you have a real hard time with it, pm me and i'll work something out.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:11 AM
Registered member

rowe4166 rowe4166 rowe4166 rowe4166 rowe4166 rowe4166 rowe4166 rowe4166 rowe4166 rowe4166 rowe4166

are those pulleys really work the hassel ???

Quick Reply: Pullies