Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

please help! boosted b20 civic

Old 08-08-2010, 10:25 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kouki KA-T has disabled reputation
Default Re: please help! boosted b20 civic

glad to see the work payed off. congrats
Old 08-09-2010, 03:05 AM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

Originally Posted by I<3Nissan
replaced the plugs with new cold plugs, hooked up s300, and hooked up my IAT sensor, tightened up the chip on my ecu socket, and boom it works. thanks guys.
Haha,way to change numerous things at once so you don't know what was at fault!
Had to have been ECU related of the things you changed(plugs should degrade slowly,IAT I'm assuming was already unhooked?),since it just instantly started happening.A loose socket/chip could certainly cause some issues.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

RalliartRsX has disabled reputation

So, all these changes and you are still on your still on your stock fuel pump (with 750cc injectors to boot)?? Did anyone else not see that in his posting??

Good luck................
Old 08-10-2010, 03:53 PM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

Originally Posted by RalliartRsX
So, all these changes and you are still on your still on your stock fuel pump (with 750cc injectors to boot)?? Did anyone else not see that in his posting??

Good luck................
I see several things that look kind of janky.....But fuel pumps tend to either work or not work,so as far as fixing the problem he's having,it wasn't relevant.
Chris
Old 08-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

So you are telling me a stock fuel pump, can support 10 psi (continuously/reliably)??

Do you have a wideband on this thing?? Did you get any A/R numbers from your tune??

I find it very hard for the tuner to oversee this, but for something as simple (and cheap) as a proper fuel pump, you are risking 10 x that amount in damages (hit or miss. Sorry, I do not like to play the lottery with a ticking time bombI

If not, then as I said, good luck............
Old 08-10-2010, 07:58 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

So you are telling me a stock fuel pump, can support 10 psi (continuously/reliably)??

Considering that "10PSI" says nothing about the power output it's pretty hard to say. We don't know anything about engine mods or what kind of turbo, and B20s have a pretty weak power output stock. Why make assumptions about things we don't know?
Old 08-11-2010, 02:57 AM
Registered member

Do you have a wideband on this thing?? Did you get any A/R numbers from your tune??

I find it very hard for the tuner to oversee this, but for something as simple (and cheap) as a proper fuel pump, you are risking 10 x that amount in damages (hit or miss. Sorry, I do not like to play the lottery with a ticking time bombI

If not, then as I said, good luck............
I'd be willing to bet that if you did the math,the stock pump is capable of supplying the volume needed for the probably 240-275HP this engine is making.It doesn't matter if he's running 550,750,1600cc injectors-he's still using the same amount of fuel.My main concern about this setup would be reliability due to the pump's age/mileage,not it's capacity......If it were my car,would I replace the pump?Yes,as a precaution I would(and consequently,I have a turbo car with 750s,and I did replace the pump),but as I said above,the fuel pump was very,very not likely to be his problem(and it wasn't),so I didn't mention it.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:11 AM
Registered Member

Yes, I will admit, the 750cc injectors have nothing to do with how much power a fuel pump can support.

But regardless, I wholehearted disagree with the fact that a stock civic fuel pump can support anything above 200whp reliably and continuously (regardless of math).

And as you said yourself, the stock fuel pumps are hit and miss...........I can almost be sure, its more miss than hit (I can look up threads on Honda-Tech and online to support this............)

I just simply do not believe a stock pump can support the fuel demands that 10psi requires for an exteneded period of time/reliably. Those are unecessary chances not to be taken

Ill give it a few weeks of some spirited driving and I can be sure, he will be back here with more issues on that stock pump.........

Good luck
Old 08-11-2010, 03:25 AM
Registered member

And as you said yourself, the stock fuel pumps are hit and miss...........I can almost be sure, its more miss than hit (I can look up threads on Honda-Tech and online to support this............)

Ill give it a few weeks of some spirited driving and I can be sure, he will be back here with more issues on that stock pump.........

Good luck
Yes,an old stock fuel pump is hit or miss,but they are generally 100% hit or miss,meaning they either work or fail.The symptoms did not fit a failed fuel pump,so I left that out.It is certainly very possible that the stock pump will fail,but if it does it won't be the cause of "more issues on that stock pump.........",it will be the first issue with the stock pump.

I agree with you that I'd replace the pump on any performance build,but it doesn't mean I need a big 255LPH pump either.If the above setup is on a smaller turbo,it could very well only be making just over 200WHP(so a fresh stock pump,or lower capacity aftermarket pump could reliably supply it).That's why I'm saying that it has enough capacity for it,but I still don't trust it because of how old it is.
Chris
Old 08-11-2010, 03:40 AM
Registered Member

Yep, I I concur the symptoms did not comply with a stock pump failing..........I just wanted to point that out for the simple fact that it "could" (and its a high possibility) cause a significant problem in the future (and possibly very near future).

And when I saw more issues on stock pump, that translates to mean "more issues will surface, and there is a high possibility the fuel pump will probably be at the heart of this" (forgive me if I am a little opaque with my meanings...........Its DragVA and I generally take everyone here to be idiots (j/p))

And yes, I agree, 10pi worth of air on a T25 IS NOT THE SAME as 10psi on say a T28 (even though they are relatively close in size). The difference is even more evident on larger frame turbos.

But, looking at his setup with 750cc injectors........I can almost bet he is not running a T25..........Or anything T2 framed actually

I believe in not taking risks and although a 255 is not needed, it gives you that head room............Plus, considering what is in that car, what is another $100 brand new?? The damn injectors are more expensive (even used)!!