Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

please help! boosted b20 civic

Old 08-08-2010, 12:04 AM
Winning

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MSTRMND MSTRMND MSTRMND MSTRMND MSTRMND MSTRMND MSTRMND MSTRMND MSTRMND MSTRMND MSTRMND
Default please help! boosted b20 civic

Car was running fine til yesterday, running a stock b20, boosted on 10lbs with chrome running rc 750's on a stock fuel pump, this is how i got the car. Ran great until yesterday then the car started bogging down horribly on me, id give it gas, it would go for like 20 feet then bog down again and jerk, got it started this morning and limped it home doing the same thing, backfires and pop backs out the ass. No headgasket problems, no compression problems, im getting spark and getting fuel. We can occasionally get the car to start but it runs horribly and wont idle right, the i put new plugs, wires, and rotor button in today, plugs are already covered black and wet with fuel. Sometimes it starts like i said, sometimes it will just crank... please tell me what this could possibly be.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:31 AM
Registered Member

vxcoastie is a name known to allvxcoastie is a name known to allvxcoastie is a name known to allvxcoastie is a name known to allvxcoastie is a name known to allvxcoastie is a name known to allvxcoastie is a name known to all
Default Re: please help! boosted b20 civic

Try changing the MAP sensor my friend! I had the same problem! Pretty sure you are using the GM 3-bar map sensor... or at least should be!
Old 08-08-2010, 05:39 AM
-RepLegion

stevenstixx stevenstixx stevenstixx stevenstixx stevenstixx stevenstixx stevenstixx stevenstixx stevenstixx stevenstixx stevenstixx

I had a 95 Integra Boosted with a b20.. Mine had a really bad idle and it would also bog down.. I tried all kinds of stuff, but nothing worked.. Iac valve sensor, you name it!.. Finally talked to Shad over at Accuracy Automotive.. Took it in and tuned it and she ran like a champ!!

He said the fuel was running to lean i believe..

But anyways, thats what i did and it ran great after that!
Old 08-08-2010, 06:27 AM
Registered Member

vxcoastie is a name known to allvxcoastie is a name known to allvxcoastie is a name known to allvxcoastie is a name known to allvxcoastie is a name known to allvxcoastie is a name known to allvxcoastie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by stevenstixx
I had a 95 Integra Boosted with a b20.. Mine had a really bad idle and it would also bog down.. I tried all kinds of stuff, but nothing worked.. Iac valve sensor, you name it!.. Finally talked to Shad over at Accuracy Automotive.. Took it in and tuned it and she ran like a champ!!

He said the fuel was running to lean i believe..

But anyways, thats what i did and it ran great after that!
Sounds valid, but before he spends a couple hundred for tuning it (which is always a good idea), he should check out that MAP sensor...
Old 08-08-2010, 07:08 AM
-RepLegion

stevenstixx stevenstixx stevenstixx stevenstixx stevenstixx stevenstixx stevenstixx stevenstixx stevenstixx stevenstixx stevenstixx

Oh yeah, most def!
Old 08-08-2010, 08:48 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

What the hell is an IACV valve sensor? Are you inventing new parts that don't exist? An idle air control valve valve sensor?

FYI, an IACV doesn't affect anything except at idle because of the really small amount of bypass flow that it passes through.

This is most likely a MAP or TPS problem, and I'd check the MAP sensor first because the car is boosted. If you're using a GM MAP sensor, check that the vac hose hasn't come off the port on the sensor. The GM sensors aren't really the highest quality sensors, but they're cheap and readily available which is why they're popular.

If you're using a stock Honda MAP sensor, the sensor has probably failed because they aren't really meant to see boost. They're great sensors but they were never meant for boosted applications.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 08-08-2010 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Winning

MSTRMND MSTRMND MSTRMND MSTRMND MSTRMND MSTRMND MSTRMND MSTRMND MSTRMND MSTRMND MSTRMND

I'm already tuned by Shue, so i doubt it dropped a tune. I'll try the MAP sensor, where can i find a gm 3 bar locally? I'm currently running a factory honda one. And i have a brand new TPS in my garage at my disposal
Old 08-08-2010, 10:37 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

If you go with a GM 3-bar sensor, you'll have to get retuned. You might want to get another Honda MAP sensor to see if that fixes the problem, then think about how to retrofit the GM 3-bar sensor.

I'm surprised you aren't seeing any CELs though, that's a little weird. I'm not sure how the ECU would react to a broken MAP though, usually the ECU fault checking looks for missing sensors, etc., so a broken sensor element might not show up the same as normal sensor faults.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Double Agent HT

ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL

I was just about to say...there should bve a code up.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Winning

its throwing a CEL but i cant get it to blink, i jumped the two wires but still nothing.

Quick Reply: please help! boosted b20 civic