Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Pistons and injectors

Old 03-13-2007, 11:07 PM
step off my kool-aid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lighterfire is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pistons and injectors

I was thinking about swapping in some Suzuki Vitara pistons into my D16 because of same bore size and lower compression for my turbo setup. Has anyone on here done this before?

Also where is the best place to find turbo DSM 450cc injectors?

thanks.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:41 AM
ZOR - WE'RE BACK!

cole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Pistons and injectors

1) NO!

2) any dsm forum/ebay
Old 03-14-2007, 08:57 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Wow. Have you checked the wrist pin and conrod dimensions, and checked that the skirt height will work with a different rod to stroke ratio than stock? I would be very, very surprised if Vitara pistons were a drop in replacement. Aftermarket D16 pistons are often pretty cheap, and I'd bet they're a lot better suited to a turbo setup than stock Suzuki non-turbo pistons. I've honestly never heard anything good about Suzuki engines that aren't on a bike.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:15 PM
step off my kool-aid

from what I understand it is almost a drop in replacement, I believe it is more popular on the west coast than here. It will drop compression to about 8.5. Talking to some Suzuki guy that have run turbos say they have run about 5 to 6 psi and I'm currently looking for anyone who has run higher. The pistons are a way cheaper alternative if it comes down to it. But the main question that remains is reliability.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:19 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

You can run higher boost (10PSI) than that on a stock D16, this seems like a ton of work and research to lower your compression and then run boost that low. Pistons aside, D16 con rods are still weak.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:19 PM
Banned

KyleVA is an unknown quantity at this point

Vitara pistons WILL work. You can get them from FJT on turbod16.com, d-series.org, or on honda-tech.

Pistons alone will run you around $120/shipped. While a bottom end package will go for about $240/shipped. That includes a headgasket, main bearings, rod bearings, pistons, wrist clips, rings, etc.

Get some tuner toy or eagle rods with these pistons and you got a good setup. A lot of people are weary of these pistons since they aren't forged but I have researched the shit out of the topic and have heard NO HORROR STORIES.

Get a good tune, and you'll be good to go.

And what're your power goals?

Last edited by KyleVA; 03-14-2007 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:24 PM
Banned

And by the way.. I've seen people running from 20-32psi on these pistons making 400+ on some backyard setups.

BEST pistons I've seen for the price.

But I'm still going forged.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:24 PM
Racetracks

Sweet, there ya go. Actual proof. This still doesn't seem like a cheap way to go though. What are people running for boost Kyle?
And what happened to the sol?
*Beat me to the reply on that one, nevermind.*

Last edited by Fabrik8; 03-14-2007 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:28 PM
Banned

Well.. for less than $400 pistons/rods can be had. And get head studs ($100). Build your motor. Piece together a kit.

Get tuned and you're running pretty fast.

del Sol is gone.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:19 AM
step off my kool-aid

yeah I already have a homegrown kit that I am going to put on my stock motor and keep the boost low. I am working on getting a new engine and build it up and I was working on this type of setup for it and yeah i was already looking for eagle rods. I'm sure with tis type of setup I could easily see 300 to 350 hp. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Pistons and injectors