VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   Pistons and injectors (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/pistons-injectors-179578/)

lighterfire 03-13-2007 11:07 PM

Pistons and injectors

I was thinking about swapping in some Suzuki Vitara pistons into my D16 because of same bore size and lower compression for my turbo setup. Has anyone on here done this before?

Also where is the best place to find turbo DSM 450cc injectors?

thanks.

cole 03-14-2007 01:41 AM

Re: Pistons and injectors

1) NO!

2) any dsm forum/ebay

Fabrik8 03-14-2007 08:57 PM

Wow. Have you checked the wrist pin and conrod dimensions, and checked that the skirt height will work with a different rod to stroke ratio than stock? I would be very, very surprised if Vitara pistons were a drop in replacement. Aftermarket D16 pistons are often pretty cheap, and I'd bet they're a lot better suited to a turbo setup than stock Suzuki non-turbo pistons. I've honestly never heard anything good about Suzuki engines that aren't on a bike.

lighterfire 03-14-2007 09:15 PM

from what I understand it is almost a drop in replacement, I believe it is more popular on the west coast than here. It will drop compression to about 8.5. Talking to some Suzuki guy that have run turbos say they have run about 5 to 6 psi and I'm currently looking for anyone who has run higher. The pistons are a way cheaper alternative if it comes down to it. But the main question that remains is reliability.

Fabrik8 03-14-2007 09:19 PM

You can run higher boost (10PSI) than that on a stock D16, this seems like a ton of work and research to lower your compression and then run boost that low. Pistons aside, D16 con rods are still weak.

KyleVA 03-14-2007 09:19 PM

Vitara pistons WILL work. You can get them from FJT on turbod16.com, d-series.org, or on honda-tech.

Pistons alone will run you around $120/shipped. While a bottom end package will go for about $240/shipped. That includes a headgasket, main bearings, rod bearings, pistons, wrist clips, rings, etc.

Get some tuner toy or eagle rods with these pistons and you got a good setup. A lot of people are weary of these pistons since they aren't forged but I have researched the shit out of the topic and have heard NO HORROR STORIES.

Get a good tune, and you'll be good to go.

And what're your power goals?

KyleVA 03-14-2007 09:24 PM

And by the way.. I've seen people running from 20-32psi on these pistons making 400+ on some backyard setups.

BEST pistons I've seen for the price.

But I'm still going forged.

Fabrik8 03-14-2007 09:24 PM

Sweet, there ya go. Actual proof. This still doesn't seem like a cheap way to go though. What are people running for boost Kyle?
And what happened to the sol?
*Beat me to the reply on that one, nevermind.*

KyleVA 03-14-2007 09:28 PM

Well.. for less than $400 pistons/rods can be had. And get head studs ($100). Build your motor. Piece together a kit.

Get tuned and you're running pretty fast. ;)

del Sol is gone.

lighterfire 03-15-2007 09:19 AM

yeah I already have a homegrown kit that I am going to put on my stock motor and keep the boost low. I am working on getting a new engine and build it up and I was working on this type of setup for it and yeah i was already looking for eagle rods. I'm sure with tis type of setup I could easily see 300 to 350 hp. Thanks for the info.