VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   open downpipe. need help asap! (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/open-downpipe-need-help-asap-354585/)

terrible advice 07-14-2010 12:02 AM

Re: open downpipe. need help asap!

yeah, obliviously you do. everyone knows only rich kids hang out at walmart and rattle can their wheels purple.

Corbzin 07-14-2010 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by itsoverton (Post 6437819)
yeah, obliviously you do. everyone knows only rich kids hang out at walmart and rattle can their wheels purple.

LOL yepp thats why im rich cause i save money.

Mindless 07-14-2010 04:22 AM

Open downpipe. Tell your friends to get on a short bus and drive off a cliff.

Corbzin 07-14-2010 07:13 AM

seriously? cause im not tryng to blow my motor,

Mindless 07-14-2010 08:03 AM

Open downpipe will cause you to run leaner so you would need to be re-tuned. But no as long as your tune is solid you're not going to blow your engine up. Your friends are morons.

Fabrik8 07-14-2010 08:58 AM

A turbo works because of the pressure difference across it (from the input to the output), so if you have an open downpipe you have less pressure on the output which can lead to faster spool, etc. If you have a decent exhaust with fairly low backpressure, it might not make much of a difference. I don't think it's really worth the extra noise, etc., on a street car to run an open downpipe. You can do that when you want that extra power at the racetrack.

Ignorant people who don't have a good tune and can't regulate boost properly can spin a bearing or whatever I suppose. Whoever told you that is completely full of shit. That's like saying that getting a flat tire makes your car burst into flames, when actually the flat tire just makes you run off the road. Running into the large rock next to the road is what makes you burst into flames.

And no, a small turbo isn't more efficient with some exhaust backpressure. The exhaust back pressure (after the turbo obviously) just keeps a small turbo from spinning too fast by limiting the pressure across the turbo. So backpressure isn't adding efficiency, it's making the turbo less efficient but also keeping the turbo from overspeeding (which takes the turbo out of the good range of efficiency). Slightly confusing, I know, but think about it a little bit. Just to clarify, we're talking about exhaust back pressure after the turbo, not the back pressure before the turbo.

bluesrt2004 07-14-2010 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Fabrik8 (Post 6438453)
I don't think it's really worth the extra noise, etc., on a street car to run an open downpipe. You can do that when you want that extra power at the racetrack.

The street is his racetrack apparently.

And no, a small turbo isn't more efficient with some exhaust backpressure. The exhaust back pressure (after the turbo obviously) just keeps a small turbo from spinning too fast by limiting the pressure across the turbo. So backpressure isn't adding efficiency, it's making the turbo less efficient but also keeping the turbo from overspeeding (which takes the turbo out of the good range of efficiency). Slightly confusing, I know, but think about it a little bit. Just to clarify, we're talking about exhaust back pressure after the turbo, not the back pressure before the turbo.

Yep, you confused the shit out of me until I read it again. I have a better understanding now, thanks!

s2katin 07-14-2010 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mindless (Post 6438344)
Open downpipe will cause you to run leaner so you would need to be re-tuned. But no as long as your tune is solid you're not going to blow your engine up. Your friends are morons.

Open downpipe will cause your air/fuel ratio to go crazy, but I disagree on the tune is solid it's not going to blow up. I would never run a car that is boosted open downpipe.

Snoop 95 07-14-2010 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Corbzin (Post 6437726)
whats better for a turbo car?

Which is better depends on who you ask, and what kind of power you're making.

So the question is...how much power are you making, and are you looking to make more power? I'm assuming you're street tuned on 17 psi.

Jarrod 07-14-2010 02:01 PM

Well, getting rid of the cat would help more than anything.
Get it retuned or at least looked at if you do remove the cat.

Open downpipe sucks when you have a ladyfriend with you, I hate smelling like a turbo Honda.