Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

olds turbo manifold...

Old 02-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F22BJSPECACCORD has disabled reputation
Default olds turbo manifold...

mike james
great bridge/ chesa.
contact by pm

i have a 2000 olds intrigue with the 3.5 V6 and i want to boost it, but have no knowledge of the tuning on a domestic, what should i use? im definitely putting a 255walboro in and fpr, so i guess... a missing link and gm maf from a stock boosted car, or can i get the ecu chipped by somebody and run it that way, like a honda? i only want to boost 6-7psi on a 60-64trim t3/t4 with a front mount. will i need bigger injectors to boost that much?

also does anyone no somebody really good that does custom exhaust manifolds, i am a certified welder and can use the stock mani by welding a t3 flange on, but a sick tube mani would be nice, if its not to outrageously priced... like 1000$ i wouldnt do it it, but if it was around 3-500$ i think i would. plus i could most def. help in the build since i am certified, i just dont have pipe bending/ flange cutting capabilities. please lmk im about to lower the car, paint it, wheels and then boost.

thanks in avdance for any help on this

Last edited by F22BJSPECACCORD; 02-08-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:18 AM
Registered Member

Ajax2029 Ajax2029 Ajax2029 Ajax2029 Ajax2029 Ajax2029 Ajax2029 Ajax2029 Ajax2029 Ajax2029 Ajax2029
Default Re: olds turbo manifold...

I think you may be the only guy on the planet who wants to boost an Intrigue. I remember seeing a web site somewhere that had all kinds of performance parts for Aleros. But that was a long time ago, I cant seem to find it right now. I think if you are serious, it's going to be custom fabrication and SEM.

Another option, if you just want more power, is finding an L36, which was the 3.8 V6 option for the Intrigue. There was also a supercharged version of it that went into 97-03 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, or Bonneville SSEi.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:51 AM
Registered Member

ya i used to have a s/c i was gonna put on but i sold it... i only paid 500$ for the car, bought it back from the parents insurance after they wrect it. they bought the car in 2000 with 0 miles, so i know the car has been mechanically taken care of cuz i did most of it. i pulled the frame & replaced everything in the front and its been in primer for about a year as my daily. im about to spray it 2tone with black on top white on bottom(original color) with some staggered 18", 9 in the rear 8 up front with plenty of meat. with a sport drop from eibach. my plans are to invest about 3-4G's on this and have a sweet daily sleeper thats not only unique but one of a kind.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Registered Member

weldmatic has disabled reputation

i can make everything you need.

as far as boosting goes theres a few things you might want to consider...

find out it your vehicle has a return line on the gas line.... if not a boost reference FMU will probably not work. you will have to either install a return or go with an ecu.

6- 8 psi is not a problem on a factory car. it might be around a 35 % increase in power when its all said and done.

Single turbo system will be easy since you can utilize the factory manifolds, although a full out turbo mani setup would be preferred. But for that low of boost and performance expectations its not necessary in my opinion. A simple y pipe setup from the factory manis would work fine as long as there are no cats in the upper manifolds. if so they need to go in case your egts get to high and melt em.

you will definately need the fuel pump as well as installing a wideband, or running a simple 2 bank egt setup. Wideband is ideal and cheaper.

with about 5 psi you can safely dial in a boost referenced fmu fuck what everyone on here says. but thats about it after that your fuel systems will start to fail.

as far as a missing link..... thats typically a honda fix and would not be necessary but check valves would be needed.

as far as turbo location it would be wise to start thinking about how to move certain things from out the engine bay. I.E. battery relocation and removing all the intake plumbing. slim fans and radiator tilt would definately make some room. just shooting it out there.

if you go single id recomend a y pipe to turbo and dp to be fabbed up by someone that has a good idea of what they are doing. alot of little things will need to be adressed such as oil feed lines, intercooler plumbing, wastegate dump tube, fuel lines, vac lines, catch can, and so on.

another idea might be replacing the radiator with a more efficiant unit. most aluminum radiators work so damn well a smaller size can be used to free up room..... with most v6 turbo apps space is always the biggest problem...

anyways lmk if you need anything... good luck
Old 02-09-2009, 11:09 PM
Registered Member

there is a return line, already has a slim fans, luckily theres mad room and the exhuast from the front 3 wraps over the tranny(like a up-pipe) instead of running under the engine and Y's to a downpipe... so if i made a block off plate at the stock d/p, welded a wastegate flange and t3 flange on the up-pipe, then made a d/p to 3" all the way back, route some i/c piping, bov, wideband, i should be good?
Old 02-10-2009, 04:39 AM
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER

This is a pretty neat idea...in theory.

BUT you have overlooked a very key element in this entire equation.

What are you going to do to about your transmission? that stock tranny's in those cars are only made to handle what the engines put out stock and maybe a little more.

if you are talking about adding boost to this motor and other things, you are going to shred that transmission. not to mention half shafts as well.

not trying to be a dick, just letting you know that if you dont touch that tranny you might be replacing it pretty often.

good luck.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Registered Member

ok i understand.....

i dont think itlle be that easy........

im guessing your front mani wraps your tranny at the top and merges behind the motor into the rear mani....

that sucks because the exhaust gasses are going to hard 90 from the back to the up pipe....

you have to take into consideration 02 sensor locations on the front and rear banks as well as how the exhaust flows.

simple re routing exhaust from the rear mani through the factory merge with a block off plate will be very restictive and possibly/ will cause big problems.

one thing you can do is cut out the merge and direct the rear mani to the pipe that wraps the tranny. welding a flange to that will work...

on another note 3" dp is way to big.... i mean the outlet on a 60 trim t3/t4 is like 2 inches and maybe 2.5 depending on the turbo. 5-8 psi isnt a big deal.

youll deffinatley need a ton of turbo wrap and need to fab some heat shields up.....

turbocharging isnt easy. everything needs to be right as far as the fab work goes..... especially on the hot side.....

if you got a return you can use the fmu....
Old 02-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Registered Member

ya i started reseaching some turbos and thinking about space, so 2.5 is plenty. the way it wraps up its more of a slant, not a striaght angle.... well ima go take some pix and you tell me wut you think
Old 02-10-2009, 06:13 PM
Registered Member

the box under the air filter is about 7-8" deep of blank plastic(used to be a square filter) and holds the delphi system(silver under filter) thats no bigger than a ecu, relocating would be easy... enough. so with that gone i'd gain more than the same amount if the battery was there

theres only one 02 right before the d/p

Last edited by F22BJSPECACCORD; 02-10-2009 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

i think modifying the rear manifold and fabbing a cross tube to replace the factory tube that wraps the tranny would be easiest honestly. the factory stuff looks like stainless steel. then fabbing up a nice dowpipe would be a sinch....

i dont think all that would be too bad but i could be wrong.....

a small little air to water intercooler would simplify things too.... unless your absolutely stuck on an fmic.