Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

offset Q S13 related

Old 12-13-2006, 04:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
skott is an unknown quantity at this point
Default offset Q S13 related

http://www.diamondracingwheels.com/AvengerSeries.htm

Custom stealies. For your 91 Hatch....get 16X8s - unless you want rediculous fitment, then you can get 16X10s. With the 16X8s get 4 inches of backspacing in the rear and 4.5 inches of back spacing in the front. If you get 16X10s get 5.5 inches of backspacing in the rear and you'll have to run a 16X8 up front (if you do run 4 inches of back spacing to even it out - you'll need a fender pull on all four corners.
http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

IMO Start your own thread about this. Don't want to jack the man thread!!
^^ thanks for that "taken from eye candy thread."

making sure i under stand correctly i don't need to pull the fender's if i run the 16X8s. never truely understood offsets.
~skott
Old 12-13-2006, 09:16 PM
I Roll Fenders

WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia
Default Re: offset Q S13 related

You can definitely have to pull the fenders on a 16X8 wheel, but not with that back spaceing. You will most likely have to roll the lip of the fender - after all if you want the wheels flush that is what you have to do, and they look damn good flush. I will do a basic explination of offset:

We'll stick with the 16X8 wheel. Offset is based entirely off the width of the wheel. To keep it simple we're assuming the wheel has a completely flat face. A 16X8 + 0 offset is also equal to a 16X8 with a 4 inch back space. I am saying that for correlation, back spacing is a whole nother world of its own and I only mildy understand it as far as figuring out how the wheel fits, I need paper usually to do it, I can do offset in my head.

Anyway, a +0 offset on a wheel means that (for an 8 inch wheel) the face is in the middle of the rim, leaving 4 inches of space on either side (thus 4 inches of back space) and 4 inches of "lip". Lip is in "" because there can easily be an inch or two of room taken up by the concave of the wheel pattern - the actual lug holes will be in the middle of the wheel.

Offset is done in mm - there for a +25 offset is like saying (again for a 8 inch wide wheels) add 25 mm to 4 inches (or 101.6 mm). 25mm = 2.5cm =(roughly) 1 inch. There for a +25 mm offset brings the lug holes from the middle of the wheel to 1 inch closer to the outside of the rim - effectively increasing the back spacing to 5 inches (I know I said I'd leave it out, but it make sense).

The more larger the offset, the further the wheel will be sunken into the fender well, and the smaller the offset the closer the wheel will be to the outside of the fender. There is an extent to it - I would not reccomend a 16X8 -40 or anything like that...that is over kill, it only leaves a little over an inch of the rim actually UNDER the suspension arms. It is death to wheel bearings among other things.

I hope that makes some sense...if you are curious as to how a 8 inch rim with a +0 offset will look on a S13 check out Dans car...they WOULD have fit better had we taken our time with the fender roll - and it wasn't lowered yet, so we had to guess how far it'd stick out.

PS those backspacings I told you to get from Diamond Racing where rough estimates. If you want to know for sure I can work it out on paper - just not right now.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:26 AM
Banned

thanks for the expanation. i think i understand but then again i just woke up. lol.. Next month im looking at attempting to get my coil-overs and Camber kits pus a few other thigs for ground control. after that im looking at getting some rims. But i goota run for work im late. lol.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:46 PM
Banned

MM kay i think i have it now. but yeah finding out what off set i need would be great.
~skott