Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Nobody can fix my car

Old 08-19-2005, 04:08 PM
Andy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
H22NUT has disabled reputation
Default Nobody can fix my car

I have a 93 prelude VTEC and about 3 months ago, i blew the motor. I decided to just find a used USDM H22a1 and do a direct replacement. I eventually found a motor with 60000 miles on it and i dropped it in. When i picked it up from the speed shop, i was about 2 miles down the road and the check engine light came on. This is common with engine swaps, and i waited a few days for the ECU to possibly accept the motor. The car ran decent at first, but lacked power. After driving for a week, it started bucking and missing bigtime. so i threw a new set of wires on and set the gap on the plugs correctly, and that fixed the missing problem. But now i have a bigger problem. My car will drop close to 600 rpm when i come to a stop sign sometimes and almost shut off and other times it will idle at 1000 rpm. The check engine light will come on when i go above 4,000 rpm and a slight knocking noise occurs. i was told this is a good motor, and it seemed to run smooth. I took it to the garage and i was told it was the knock sensor which causes the check engine light to come on, which retards the timing, which causes it to drop around 600 rpms when coming to a stop. Well, he disconnected the sensor, and it still does the same thing. it has no power and makes a clicking noise above 4,000 rpm. i have taken it to many mechanics and none of them can figure out what the problem is. I was just considering if it is possilby only running on 3 cylinders, but im not sure.. Is there anyone that knows Hondas well enough to fix my prob????

Last edited by H22NUT; 08-20-2005 at 05:52 AM.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:24 PM
Justa lil 6

Dang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Nobody can fix my car

accuracy automotive 757-548-9227
Old 08-19-2005, 05:22 PM
TRX 450 TYPE R

h23havoc has disabled reputation

my integra idles the same way it drops between 500 and like 100 rpms nearly cutting off,but it was a vacuum leak,then my vtec quit working and it was a pig,when vtec stopped working it was throwin the check engine light,only when i ran it the check light would come on so i turned the car off for 30 secs to reset the ecu then when i would get on it again it would throw the check light again,thats what happened to my car not sayin its whats wrong with urs but i had those similar probs and thats what i did so id check your vtec wires and oil cuz my car was slow as piss without vtec sorry if this doesnt help just thought id let ya know i had the same probs, hope ya figure it out.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:42 PM
Sumospeed #O.G.

SlowLS is an unknown quantity at this point

What the hell is a dsm h22a1? Do you mean usdm?
Old 08-20-2005, 05:47 AM
Andy

Originally Posted by SlowLS
What the hell is a dsm h22a1? Do you mean usdm?
it was a typo, im not stupid, United States domestic market. oooooo, u are so smart for picking on my mistake, thank u...
Old 08-20-2005, 06:10 AM
Asshole Supreme

S dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud of

Was a new timing belt installed on the used engine? You may want to see if it was installed properly. You may also want to check ignition timing. Did the garage you took the vehicle actually check the CEL to see what the problem was? If it is in fact the knock sensor, you will need to replace it not just unplug it.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:23 AM
Andy

Originally Posted by ZEROpsi
Was a new timing belt installed on the used engine? You may want to see if it was installed properly. You may also want to check ignition timing. Did the garage you took the vehicle actually check the CEL to see what the problem was? If it is in fact the knock sensor, you will need to replace it not just unplug it.
A new timing belt was installed and it is dead on. When i did the swap, everything was replaced with new parts. I am thinking that it could be dealing with the ignition, because my last motor was the same way. The check engine light still comes on with the knock sensor detached, so i am gonna check the code and see what BS the ecu is telling me this time. Thanks for your help, anything is appreciated at this point.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:29 AM
import mechanic

sucio7 has disabled reputation

did u see it done, some shop tell u they didi it b ut they dont ask for the receipts
Old 08-20-2005, 06:31 AM
Asshole Supreme

S dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud of

The CEL will remain on if you don't plug in a known working knock sensor.