Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Need some MR2 advice

Old 12-01-2003, 11:53 AM
Unconfirmed User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BlewMR2 BlewMR2 BlewMR2 BlewMR2 BlewMR2 BlewMR2 BlewMR2 BlewMR2
Unhappy Need some MR2 advice

All that's left on my fucking car would be to get it running. while in the garage it ran fine, pushed it out onto the driveway and i had the distributor cap and plug wires off because i needed new plug wires. well i left, when i returned home my friend jay washed my car, water leaked into the distributor somehow and it wouldnt start. it turns over, just doesnt start. so i bought a new distributor cap and a new dizzy itself, still not starting.. wtf is wrong???
Old 12-01-2003, 12:04 PM
~

nickyroo has disabled reputation

hey youre not the guy with the red MR2 in schwa brotherhood are you? i came up to a house in williamsburg with a dude named glenn and there was a red MR2 outside. that you?

and make sure your wires are set up in the correct order, and put some dielectrode grease on the ends just to be safe. do you have a voltometer in the car? hows that looking when you crank it over? a lot of times you can blow dry a distributor (backyard mechanics 101) to clean up any water that has gotten on it, but id think if you replaced the whole unit that wouldnt be the problem. check your coil wire/s (dont know if mr2s are multi-coil packs) and also add some dielectrode grease to the ends. your coil could have taken a crap but i doubt it.

Last edited by nickyroo; 12-01-2003 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-01-2003, 12:16 PM
nannerpus, nannerpus

Carter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these parts

yea make sure it's not the battery. and obviously make sure you put the distributor in right.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:33 PM
Registered Member

Greaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond repute

how could it be the battery if its cranking over?
Old 12-01-2003, 02:07 PM
Unconfirmed User

reuter yea that's me. i appreciate it, i'll try everything you suggested -- and yes the wires are in the correct order. and thank you carter, it is in right. haha i'm not stupid.
Old 12-01-2003, 02:10 PM
brake/steer/throttle

ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek

use some CRC 656 and spray-down the dizzy and cap. let it dry a little. if you have compressed air, then blow air over it to remove excess. check to make sure you didn't fry something else when you went to crank it (e.g.; check the coil and stuff). check your spark plug galleys to make sure it's not all full of water. if so, use a wet/dry vac and maybe also some paper towels or rags to sop-up the water. check your plugs too! hey and silicone dielectric grease never hurt spark plug wires either.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:31 PM
lookoutdrift ae86

lookoutdriftmike is an unknown quantity at this point

also, try disconnecting the battery and letting it sit for a min then reconnect it. I washed my engine and shorted it and the 4ag ECU went into "limp home mode" i couldnt rev over about 400 rpm. and whe i tried, it sounded like a bad miss. give it a shot.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:40 AM
brake/steer/throttle

ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek

what happened with this?????
Old 12-04-2003, 08:41 AM
Unconfirmed User

i blow dried the dizzy and cleaned up everything i missed from where the water got in. unhooked my battery for a while, still nothin.
check your spark plug galleys to make sure it's not all full of water. if so, use a wet/dry vac and maybe also some paper towels or rags to sop-up the water.
i still have yet to do what you suggested. but i'm not goin outside today, it's snowing and i've already got the flu.
Old 12-04-2003, 02:50 PM
brake/steer/throttle

right on