Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Need input on b-series problem- i need ur help!!!!

Old 11-26-2007, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
revn211 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Need input on b-series problem- i need ur help!!!!

Originally Posted by DeFunk
Ok, as noted above. You mentioned that you had this engine overbored, but are running ITR pistons. If they are straight up ITR pistons, they already have a 81mm (stock) bore size, so overboring the cylinders would make them too big for ITR pistons.

Who assembled your motor? You and your friend? If not, I would speak to the person who assembled it. If you and your friend assembled it, well.

Spring rate wouldn't have much bearing on an initial startup after swapping cams (camshafts), though you would want to think about upgrading the springs before using any type of aggressive cam (camshaft).

To change the cams, you need to disconnect the timing belt from the camgears (for those following). As a result, your cam timing may be off (there is cam and then there is ignition timing).

As for me not understanding, I understand the Honda inline 4 very well, it was your post and lack of punctuation that made it difficult to read. I let you know this, you bit, I bit back now let's get beyond that and try to resolve the problem.

What is wrong with using a "basemap" (I wish whoever coined the word would die) is that there is NOT a "basemap" that will work for all vehicles. All setups are different, even if they use the same parts, -something- is likely different, different tolerances, performance, etc. A "basemap" is to start a car more less.. anything beyond that it should be tuned immediately.

You've gone this far doing the build yourself, or so it sounds, now its time to learn. You dont know what a leak down test is, thats fine, google it (I say this simply because I dont want to rewrite what I am absolutely positive is already written somewhere out there if not on these forums). It doesnt require expensive equipment, in fact, if you have a compression tester, you're kinda half way there. You should be able to find instructions on how to build a leak down, assuming you have a compressor. I have a Snap On "leak down" tester that I use, but it ran me $350 if I remember right, probably far more than you want to spend.
Moving forward sounds like a plan. the machine shop that did all the work assembled the motor completely and they used os itr pistons (aftermarket so i was told- for all i know they could have used os gsr pistons). the head already as ferrea valvesprings and retainers in it so thats why i decided to swap the cams in the first place ( and i got a good deal on them ). i didnt think there would be a problem because i have read that some people have put s2 s2 cams in an itr so i figured s2 s1 cams would be just fine. but any way no offense takin on the google thing, i ought to do that no matter what just to expand my knowledge. i had bought a e-manage (which i know isnt the best EM) because i wanted to get it tuned reguardless of what cams are in it but obviously that isnt gonna happen lol. so i dont know what to do now, im just hoping i dont have to go back inside the block or head and have something fixed.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:42 AM
Registered member

accarroll has disabled reputation

dude your an asshole
Old 11-26-2007, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by accarroll
dude your an asshole
ok?
Old 11-26-2007, 02:07 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SlowLS
Are you still running stock valve springs? You also said you bored the motor, how much? And are you running an oversized ITR piston?
nah im runnin ferrea valvesprings and retainers. Its bored .020 over and i would imagine i am considered its bored (didnt mean that in a rude way).
Old 11-26-2007, 03:10 PM
Registered Member

TurboHonda has disabled reputation

u stated it still has fuel and spark. dude your cam timing is off. if it ran and u changed the cams now it doesnt run thats the fuckn problem. maybe u think the marks are right but there prolly not try agian.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:07 PM
︻╦╤─

DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk

Originally Posted by accarroll
dude your an asshole
Originally Posted by revn211
ok?

I think he meant me, tough to tell since he hasn't found the quote button yet.

As TurboHonda said and I said in the post before that:

To change the cams, you need to disconnect the timing belt from the camgears (for those following). As a result, your cam timing may be off (there is cam and then there is ignition timing).
Your cam timing is most likely the culprit. Your bore size is 81.5mm just so you know. Also, if you didn't, make sure you follow the install/tightdown pattern as well as the torque specifications of your cam caps, it's not an ok thing to just tighten em down. Incase you didnt use a torque wrench.

Follow the mark on the crankshaft pulley aligning it properly and use metal rod (precision screwdrivers are a -bad- idea as they are usually very brittle material) to ensure your cams are aligned properly as well. Yes, you could go by the marks on the camgears but we have the extra added bonus of alinging our cams using metal rod/dowels

Then set your belt. Ensure you torque down the tension bolt to specification as well and that it has proper play, etc. I would hope/imagine you have a Service Manual, if not get one. There are plenty available on the internet, but, buying one imo is a good idea.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:32 PM
Huntin Dropa ForLife

RPRacing has disabled reputation

just saying. i wont read that paragraph because its a giant run on without breaks. and not even cliffs at the end.

also, your title sucks and is too vague.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by DeFunk
I think he meant me, tough to tell since he hasn't found the quote button yet.

As TurboHonda said and I said in the post before that:

Your cam timing is most likely the culprit. Your bore size is 81.5mm just so you know. Also, if you didn't, make sure you follow the install/tightdown pattern as well as the torque specifications of your cam caps, it's not an ok thing to just tighten em down. Incase you didnt use a torque wrench.

Follow the mark on the crankshaft pulley aligning it properly and use metal rod (precision screwdrivers are a -bad- idea as they are usually very brittle material) to ensure your cams are aligned properly as well. Yes, you could go by the marks on the camgears but we have the extra added bonus of alinging our cams using metal rod/dowels

Then set your belt. Ensure you torque down the tension bolt to specification as well and that it has proper play, etc. I would hope/imagine you have a Service Manual, if not get one. There are plenty available on the internet, but, buying one imo is a good idea.
oh, and yeah i knew it was 81.5mm, sorry for no saying that, lol. anyway as far as the timing and shit, what we did was took the adjustible gears off both sets of cams and put mine on the s2's because i figured that it would be correct (tell me if that was the mistake). We lined everything up top dead center (even the crank pulley marks) and yes we did have the manual and tightened all the bolts in the correct pattern and to the correct specs with a torque wrench. when it wouldnt start we went through and eliminated everything we could think of and we even used the s2 cam gears that cam on the cams ( we took mine back off and put them back on- if that makes since lol) so i am going to say yes that everything was put back together according to the manual. so please ask all the ?'s you want so that i can help you figure this shit out!!!!
Old 11-27-2007, 03:11 PM
Banned

dallasb84 is an unknown quantity at this point

even if your 180 out or a tooth off it can still run...... i bet you got your plug wires on the distributor cap screwed up..... honestly double check it.

thats a sure fire way to get compression fuel and spark and not have it run..... imo. im only suggesting this because, if you do not know what a leak down test is, your probably still learning.

when it comes making sure the big things are right (like timing marks and setting the belt) dont get frustrated and forget about the small things.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by dallasb84
even if your 180 out or a tooth off it can still run...... i bet you got your plug wires on the distributor cap screwed up..... honestly double check it.

thats a sure fire way to get compression fuel and spark and not have it run..... imo. im only suggesting this because, if you do not know what a leak down test is, your probably still learning.

when it comes making sure the big things are right (like timing marks and setting the belt) dont get frustrated and forget about the small things.

We did that! the manual said one thing then on another page it said another thing so we just looked @ my friends civic and matched them up with his, i know we changed them about 8 different times! lol

Quick Reply: Need input on b-series problem- i need ur help!!!!