Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Mixing weights of oil

Old 04-30-2006, 03:54 PM
Good Ship Bear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sil80er is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mixing weights of oil

This may be a stupid question but how bad would it be to mix two weights of oil like 10w30 and 5w30. my wife brought me home four quarts and two were 5w30 and two were 10w30 which is what i already use.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:15 AM
Means Slow

MABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud of
Default Re: Mixing weights of oil

the wieghts are still the same its still 30 wieght. the 5 and 10 you read is the temperature the oil is test when it becomes molasses so at 5 degrees that oil will turn molasses untill it warms up and so on for 10 degrees. so your fine.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:56 AM
Iridium V

MGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond repute

I never do it. When temperatures get colder the two oils will seperate as you start the engine (the numbers 5 and 10 determined by how viscous the oil is at cold temperatures and how long it takes that oil to pass through an orifice) Why not take the time to exchange the oil and do what's right for your vehicle.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:01 AM
He's like the wind

MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC

You can mix them if you want, won't hurt. I used to run 3qts. 20w-50 and 2 qts. of 10w40 in my Bronco in the summer time and never hurt it. Just depends on what you want.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:38 AM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MGBRaceman
I never do it. When temperatures get colder the two oils will seperate as you start the engine (the numbers 5 and 10 determined by how viscous the oil is at cold temperatures and how long it takes that oil to pass through an orifice) Why not take the time to exchange the oil and do what's right for your vehicle.
Thats incorrect..

It won't hurt anything at all..
Old 05-03-2006, 12:38 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by MGBRaceman
Oils can't seperate under shear load like that, I don't know what you're thinking about but it's not oil.. Many oils are blended from different base stocks this way, it's the same thing. If you have a 50/50 mix of 5W and 10W, you should end up with 7.5W which won't hurt anything.

Think about it this way: If I mix corn syrup and light corn syrup together, and pump them through a strainer, will they seperate out?
Old 05-03-2006, 01:28 PM
Resident Pilot

dasboost is an unknown quantity at this point

It doesn't matter if you mix weights, but I wouldn't mix brands. Different companies use different types of base oils, such as the Pennsylvania based oils (Pennzoil, Quaker State, etc.. using Paraffin based stocks). Here's a good site to check out:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

Go to the "Oil Forums" link on the first line. It is one of the best sites I have seen, and they have info on just about any automotive oil somewhere in there.

Last edited by dasboost; 05-03-2006 at 01:32 PM.