Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

MGB valvetrain

Old 08-18-2003, 07:33 PM
Iridium V

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond repute
Default MGB valvetrain

Well I took apart my bottom end today in the 18V. I'm taking my motor apart because I dropped a valve due to keeper failure. It seems that with a valve lift of about 480 + 12 thou of my head milled = valve slap. The MGs are known to hit valves to the block if the tolerances aren't set right. So I pull my cam today for some more horror. I've been reading about the crane 222-270 420 lift cam being too hard (literaly) for any of the lifters in production for the 18V (con Isky lifters no longer being produced). This causing rapid lifter failure and when I pulled my lifters today, very poor shape and deteriorating rapidly. WHEN YOU BUY A CAM MAKE SURE THAT YOUR LIFTERS ARE MATCHED TO THE ROCKWELL HARDNESS OF THE CAM!!!!! Well here's the question, I looked at the cam profiles and the No. 2 cylinder lexhaust lobe was nearly 2-3 mm worn down!!!!! What could have caused this??? I'm puzzled. Anywho, I'm going to be replacing the cam with a Kent unit (719 I believe) with a power band of 3000-7500 or a 721 with a powerband of 4000-8000. I know that these numbers aren't impressive to you honda guys out there but they're high for an 18V. My question is...... Is anyone running a full race cam set up on the street, say similar to this type of powerband on any type of car. I am willing to sacrifice alot of streetability for power. Thanks for your input.