Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Mazda Truck Problems

Old 12-17-2006, 06:53 PM
holla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3
Default Mazda Truck Problems

Ok heres the deal. I got this truck a couple months back running great, basically no problems. Well after a while I started to here something that sounded like an exhaust rattle so I paid it no mind and kept driving. At the same time, my e-brake wasn't holding good, but everything was tight. I also didn't think it was a big deal.

Well, the other day I feel like that rattle is getting worse so I decided to pull the drum and look at my brakes. After removal of the drum I see grease all over the driver side brakes (haven't even looked at the passenger). A friend of mine told me that day it was probably the axle seal, same thing happend to him, and to just keep and eye on the fluids and I'd be fine untill I could fix it. Well that night I'm driving and the truck starts to feel shakey and whenever I accelerate the whole truck kinda viberates hard.

Now I haven't personally dug into anything to check myself but some of the tech's at my shop told me I could possibly have bent an axle or broken one. By the way, the rear end hasn't locked up but I stopped driving anyway just to make sure.

If anyone can give any input as to what the problem might actually be please let me know. I'll be breaking her open here soon to check it out but if someone knows right off the bat what to look for it'd help a lot.

1993 Mazda B2200

Thanks,
Jake
Old 12-20-2006, 07:28 AM
Registered Member

mysteryguest is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mazda Truck Problems

Possibly the outer bearings were letting go when the truck was rattling and eventually went out on you when the truck went shakey. Once the bearings went, the axle got sloppy in the housing and grease blew past the outer seal.

I've never set up a rear end in a Mazda, but others I have done are simple to pull the axle and replace the bearings. If you don't have a press, just remove the axle and take it to a shop that can remove and replace the bearings with new ones. You can slide the axle back into a cleaned up housing with a new seal, pop the c-clips in and go.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:02 AM
holla

j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3
Default Re: Mazda Truck Problems

I don't have the time to do anything now, and last time I tried to do any work that couldn't be done within a few hours people in my neighborhood called the cops.

Anyone know a shop that I could take this to that does good work?