Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Major 01 GS-R Problems

Old 04-22-2006, 10:09 PM
the tag says it all.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1BADDSM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Major 01 GS-R Problems

For starters I cant get the damn Maint Reqd light to go out. Took it to the dealership and they couldnt even figure it out.

My Check engine light is on and frequently goes on and off. The car has been stuttering right before and during v-tec. Sometimes it will hit the rpm at which v-tec engages and hang. Weird crap, feels like the rev limiter at 5 g's.

Now v-tec will no longer engage. It will rev through the rpm's without engaging v-tec. I am also throwing oil lights now. I change my oil often and have no leaks. The first time I got the light I pulled over and checked the level which was fine. These problems all sound related? I am in the middle of debating whether to rip the motor out for a n/a rebuild or trade the piece of shit in. Its a freakin 2001 for crying out loud. I really dont abuse this thing either.

Last edited by 1BADDSM; 04-22-2006 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:58 PM
Registered Member

jdawgs92ludesi has disabled reputation
Default Re: Major 01 GS-R Problems

try replacing the vtec sylenoidfirst off and see if that helps your vtec...as for the oil light i dont know if integras are like this but some vehicles require a simple reset when you change the oil...if your integra is like this then just take it to a qualified shop and have them reset it no biggy there...it could also be an oil pump starting to fail...i would take it back to the dealorship and have them give it a one over again....dont get rid of it just yet or all for that matter just work with it
Old 04-23-2006, 12:19 AM
www.TeamDOHC.org

Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy

Originally Posted by jdawgs92ludesi
try replacing the vtec sylenoidfirst off and see if that helps your vtec...as for the oil light i dont know if integras are like this but some vehicles require a simple reset when you change the oil...if your integra is like this then just take it to a qualified shop and have them reset it no biggy there...it could also be an oil pump starting to fail...i would take it back to the dealorship and have them give it a one over again....dont get rid of it just yet or all for that matter just work with it
No, the VTEC spool valve is not the problem.

It sounds as if theres a ground problem.. Do you ever notice the tach or speedo to act up? Check the ground that fron the chassis to side of tranny, its is possible this is lose. THe the by the thermestate housing to.

If this is not the promblem, find out what code its throwing if any & we can go from there.

The oil light can be result of the grounding issue, or just a bad oil sending unit.. its not likly the oil pump is bad.

THe maint. light reset is a black box with a button under the dash by the steering coloum, stick you head down there & look for it.. its there.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:10 AM
Whats Next?

kntcdis is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 924drsleeper
No, the VTEC spool valve is not the problem.
or just a bad oil sending unit.. its not likly the oil pump is bad.
How is it most likely not the oil pump STARTING to fail. its a part and parts go bad all the time. its a very good possibility. but you should check your oil pick up first you are right about that. take a wire and connect it to the vtec solenoid and hit to the power and listen for change over make sure thats ok cause you said its not changing over any more. check your grounds like 94drsleeper said. i would take it to a different dealer this time if the first one said they didnt find anything take it to another.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:43 AM
Registered Member

CBRboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you tried to use a different ECU?
Old 04-23-2006, 07:01 AM
I am SLOW SON !!

Slepping_H22_DC has disabled reputation
Exclamation Re: Major 01 GS-R Problems

Originally Posted by kntcdis
How is it most likely not the oil pump STARTING to fail. its a part and parts go bad all the time. its a very good possibility. but you should check your oil pick up first you are right about that. take a wire and connect it to the vtec solenoid and hit to the power and listen for change over make sure thats ok cause you said its not changing over any more. check your grounds like 94drsleeper said. i would take it to a different dealer this time if the first one said they didnt find anything take it to another.

ding ding exactly. first if you see your oil light means you have less than 7-9 psi of oil pressure which is really really low. stop driving your car expecially trying to engage vtec!!
the oil light is the gimme that your oil pressure is to low VTEC will not engage. if you want to save yourself from throwing a bearing stop driving the car !!! first like "kntcdis" said check you oil pan if it looks a little dented (bottom out lately) pull you oil pan off if you see something that looks like a smiley face on the inside that would be your oil pickup unit. replace oil pan first if it looks slightly bent. still low pressure change your oil pump !! i will put money on it that its definately an oil pressure related issue !!
no shit bro stop driving the vehicle. the oil level has nothing to do with oil pressure. if you ever see you oil light and you have oil in the car either oil pickup under pan, oil pump, or needs rebuilding !!
Old 04-23-2006, 07:05 AM
I am SLOW SON !!

also for shits and giigle i would check the vtec solenoid with the 12v hard wire method see if it clicks
Old 04-23-2006, 09:19 AM
the tag says it all.

Thanks for all the help guys. I am going to take a look at it today and let you guys know. And dont worry sleeping I stopped driving the car once I got it home on the oil light night. Driving around my pos beater now. More to come tonight....
Old 04-23-2006, 01:53 PM
the tag says it all.

Here it is... my oil has a TON of fuel in it. Looks like its time to build the block. Starting to pull it tom... Thanks for your help guys
Old 04-24-2006, 03:42 AM
I am SLOW SON !!

Originally Posted by 1BADDSM
Here it is... my oil has a TON of fuel in it. Looks like its time to build the block. Starting to pull it tom... Thanks for your help guys
damn bro that was the worst case huh? sucks bro good luck.

Quick Reply: Major 01 GS-R Problems