VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   LS/VTEC Setup - Opinions (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/ls-vtec-setup-opinions-215131/)

BAD4DR 12-09-2007 07:09 AM

Re: LS/VTEC Setup - Opinions

Originally Posted by wisepanda (Post 3635409)
+1

you can never stress HEAD work enough. THIS IS WHERE YOU MAKE YOUR POWWWWWER!

i had a ls/vtec setup in my crx and it made 205 whp and 143 ft/lbs.

the main thing that was holding me back was i didnt want to turn the motor past 8500 rpms so i went with a smaller cam(edelbrock 4730) that made alot of midrange.(I drove the car daily) My head was ported and the bottom end was just punched 30 over with a set of wiesco 12:1's and eagle h-beams.

I loved the setup! to this day i wish i would not have gotten rid of it:(.

I believe in head work, but I have the stock port flow #'s for a B16 head. I have the ported #'s. On a N/A motor, you're talking about less than 10 hp on a build the level at which I'm looking at. Sure, more compression, more cam, more power, more difference. But, it's not worth the $$ when you look at the $/hp difference.

I'd make more power by spending the money on sleeves (which I may have to do anyhow), and running the motor at 87mm......(and you're talking about a very similar cost!)

EGbobby 12-09-2007 07:31 AM

+1

you can never stress HEAD work enough. THIS IS WHERE YOU MAKE YOUR POWWWWWER!

i had a ls/vtec setup in my crx and it made 205 whp and 143 ft/lbs.

the main thing that was holding me back was i didnt want to turn the motor past 8500 rpms so i went with a smaller cam(edelbrock 4730) that made alot of midrange.(I drove the car daily) My head was ported and the bottom end was just punched 30 over with a set of wiesco 12:1's and eagle h-beams.

what kind of head and valvetrain were you using??! i've got cash for something new and about how much does porting cost around here(chesapeake/va beach area)? i've looked around online and i see lots of different prices ranging from 450 to over 1000.

Dang Yo 12-09-2007 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by EGbobby (Post 3635587)
what kind of head and valvetrain were you using??! i've got cash for something new and about how much does porting cost around here(chesapeake/va beach area)? i've looked around online and i see lots of different prices ranging from 450 to over 1000.

get seth at abacus to port the head. i would run some skunk or JG valve springs and retainers. also get a set of decent cams, IE. skunk2 stage 2's. then look into a decent intake manifold/tb. then a nice header, IE. smsp, hytech, RMF, ETC. all these combined will wake your motor up.

wisepanda 12-09-2007 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by EGbobby (Post 3635587)

i had a 91 b16 head with s2 springs and retainers. Grey at MRD(millenium) ported my head(this was 1.5 years ago) he still ports and all his heads are making good numbers;)

Originally Posted by Dang Yo (Post 3635597)
get seth at abacus to port the head. i would run some skunk or JG valve springs and retainers. also get a set of decent cams, IE. skunk2 stage 2's. then look into a decent intake manifold/tb. then a nice header, IE. smsp, hytech, RMF, ETC. all these combined will wake your motor up.

i have heard nothing but good things about seth also. i think he is alittle more pricey but he can flow bench it and give you some numbers. But like dang yo says, alot of it is in your intake manifold and header. i went from making 187 whp and 141 ft.lbs to 205whp 143 ft/lbs just with a RMF header and another tune!

wisepanda 12-09-2007 07:48 AM

edit

wisepanda 12-09-2007 07:50 AM

my computer went crazy.

wisepanda 12-09-2007 07:52 AM

sorry

Yell88CRXsi 12-09-2007 08:20 AM

YEA!!!! WTF WERE YOU THINKING!!!

I still can't believe that you sold your CRX. Now who in the hell am I going to show mine with!?! j/k

sohc_mshue 12-09-2007 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Yell88CRXsi (Post 3633048)
I'm quite sure you meant...the boring of the "stock" sleeves won't be "safe" running 84mm" :D

yup haha. 84mm aftermarket sleeves + boost = fun:cool:

wisepanda 12-09-2007 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Yell88CRXsi (Post 3635716)
YEA!!!! WTF WERE YOU THINKING!!!

I still can't believe that you sold your CRX. Now who in the hell am I going to show mine with!?! j/k

haha. yeah i wish i would have kept it and just stored it away in a garage. i miss it.

your setup sounds pretty beast dude. pm me the numbers you make when you finally get it straight.