Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

LS/VTEC Setup - Opinions

Old 12-04-2007, 04:49 PM
Slowest HRC Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond repute
Default LS/VTEC Setup - Opinions

Bottom End
84mm 11.5:1 pistons
I-Beam Forged Rods
Knifed/Lightened/Nitrided/Balanced and Blueprinted Crank
Ishihara-Johnson Windage System

Top End
B16 Head, enhanced in the quench pad area similar to a GSR, and fully machined.
Competition Serdi Valve job, full de-shrouded to match 84mm bore.
Mild porting - possibly professional CNC port work.
Skunk2 Pro Series Springs/Retainers
Skunk2 Pro2+ Cams
Ferrea Hollow Stem Sodium Fill Valves.

Other
Golden Eagle LS/VTEC Conversion Kit.
Skunk2 Composite Intake (when released)
Large Tube Headers (1 5/8" Primaries with 2.5" collector, 4-1 design)
No cat. Muffler for street use. Header extension for Drag use.
10,500 RPM - 11,000 RPM

Mostly, this is being posted for Fabrik8 or other knowledgeable people to comment on, as to what they feel is a reasonable goal for said motor, what they like or don't like about the setup, and what they would do different. It's mostly so I can get some ideas on where I might look for improvements, and anyone who's truly interested and willing to make a suggestion is welcome to ask for additional details on any specific parts used (or planned) through PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Registered member

Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey
Default Re: LS/VTEC Setup - Opinions

Sounds like a pretty solid build to me. Are you going to use a sleeved block or just a normal B20? Personally if I was going to go to that level of a build I would go with a little higer compression, but I suppose it depends on what you are looking to use the car for.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:03 PM
Slowest HRC Member

BAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grease Monkey
Sounds like a pretty solid build to me. Are you going to use a sleeved block or just a normal B20? Personally if I was going to go to that level of a build I would go with a little higer compression, but I suppose it depends on what you are looking to use the car for.
Bored LS @ 84. I might sleeve it. Have to talk to a good friend, and see what he says for cost! (I actually am on a budget!)
Pump gas only car. I'm not sure it's possible to take advantage of much more than 11.5:1. Even with the fact it's aluminum head, and will likely be sporting thermal barrier, thermal dispersant, oil shedding, and oil holding coatings throughout as applicable. Just not sure about that.

What would you consider good compression for pump fuel? (Figuring I'll mostly be running a pure 93 (no ethanol) with a higher MON than you get in VA (NC fuel FTW!)
Old 12-04-2007, 05:20 PM
TurboPipingSystems

thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal

Looks good... you've been doing your homework... I agree, I'd go at around 12:1 compression. What management do you plan on running?
Old 12-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Slowest HRC Member

Originally Posted by thermal
Looks good... you've been doing your homework... I agree, I'd go at around 12:1 compression. What management do you plan on running?
Any brand preference on parts not listed with a brand preference so far?
And what do you feel it's capable of on a setup of this nature?

You feel it can be upped a little? Good to know.
Probably use Crome. Mostly for price. Pro is relative ease of use with minimal cost ($150).
Old 12-04-2007, 06:43 PM
TurboPipingSystems

thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal

I've seen Wiseco in action on all motor build. It was amazing! .... but I have nothing else to compare it with... experience wise... I'm a turbo guy . I even run Wiseco on my turbo motor.

Honestly, your all motor build is probably one of the wiser route there is around here. I'm sure the potential will expose itself after the initial tune. All others that I've seen, even with minor Honda OEM Frankenstein stuff made over 210whp easily.... and I'm talking about just simple LSVTEC CTR pistons, mild head porting and CTR valve train... and of course a bad ass tuner...

... with your set-up, I have some numbers in mind, but I'll let the tuners cover that. I'm sure you'll be happy with the replies....
Old 12-04-2007, 06:48 PM
Slowest HRC Member

Originally Posted by thermal
I've seen Wiseco in action on all motor build. It was amazing! .... but I have nothing else to compare it with... experience wise... I'm a turbo guy . I even run Wiseco on my turbo motor.

Honestly, your all motor build is probably one of the wiser route there is around here. I'm sure the potential will expose itself after the initial tune. All others that I've seen, even with minor Honda OEM Frankenstein stuff made over 210whp easily.... and I'm talking about just simple LSVTEC CTR pistons, mild head porting and CTR valve train... and of course a bad ass tuner...

... with your set-up, I have some numbers in mind, but I'll let the tuners cover that. I'm sure you'll be happy with the replies....
Thanks
Old 12-05-2007, 06:12 AM
Team Ultraspeed

Yell88CRXsi has disabled reputation

Well, if it was me...and I did

Bottom end
- 84.5mm sleeved
- 89mm crank for 1996cc
- 11.8:1 to 12.3:1 final compression
- The lightest forged rods that you can afford!!!
- Lightened and balanced complete rotational mass including - flywheel, pulley and clutch as one.
- ATI or Fluidamper hermonic pulley
- ARP head studs and a Cometic head gasket
- 3 main girdle
- coatings are nice, but not necessary

Top End
- B16 Head...port the head, port the head, PORT THE HEAD!!!
Find a professional porter and Fuck mild ports! All the power is in the head!!!
Addressing quench pad is good but don't forget to enlarge the valves. You have to flow that air!
- Eibach Springs and Crower Retainers
- Skunk2 Pro2 Cams (careful, can't go to big. Also...most important, Degree the cams!
- Ferrea valves are always nice.

Other
HONDATA S300!!! You forgot the biggest power maker out there!
70mm Throttlebody
Skunk2 Composite Intake would also be nice but I went with a fully ported ITR which was CFM matched to my head.
SMSP B19/B20 Headers...enough said
MSD ignition/coil setup
RC 440cc injectors
...did I forget something...oh well, you get the point.

I did remember the "budget" part...but I figured that you wanted to know Opinions, so there you go!

Last edited by Yell88CRXsi; 12-06-2007 at 03:55 AM.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:34 AM
Slowest HRC Member

Originally Posted by Yell88CRXsi
Well, if it was me...and I did

Bottom end
- 84.5mm sleeved
- 89mm crank for 1996cc
- 11.8:1 to 12.3:1 final compression
- The lightest forged rods that you can afford!!!
- Lightened and balanced complete rotational mass including - flywheel, pulley and clutch as one.
- ATI or Fluidamper hermonic pulley
- ARP head studs and a Cometic head gasket
- 3 main girdle
- coatings are nice, but not necessary

Top End
- B16 Head...port the head, port the head, PORT THE HEAD!!!
Find a professional porter and Fuck mild ports! All the power is in the head!!!
Addressing quench pad is good but don't forget to enlarge the valves. You have to flow that air!
- Eibach Springs and Crower Retainers
- Skunk2 Pro2 Cams (careful, can't go to big. Also...most important, Degree the cams!
- Ferrea valves are always nice.

Other
HONDATA S300!!! You forgot the biggest power maker out there!
70mm Throttlebody
Skunk2 Composite Intake would be nice but I went with a fully ported ITR which was CFM matched to my head.
SMSP B19/B20 Headers...enough said
MSD ignition/coil setup
RC 440cc injectors
...did I forget something...oh well, you get the point.

I did remember the "budget" part...but I figured that you wanted to know Opinions, so there you go!
What was your setup making?
Old 12-05-2007, 06:46 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

Originally Posted by HondaRules!
Bored LS @ 84. I might sleeve it.!)

your gonna bore a stock ls block to 84 ?.....i would personally, and im saying this in my personal opinion and what ive built in the past, NOT reccomend that. i would def sleeve it if your content on sticking with an ls block. Simply because of the detonation risk at that compression and pup gas restriction, granted with a good tune your not gonna have it but cylinder temps and pressure on a stock ls block with that kind of build can cause stress, and thats with out taking off almost .3mm of structure stabilizing, heat absorbing material. Your build sounds pretty friggin solid other then that. Looks like a quality build, im sure itll make some damn good power.

Last edited by MORE IMPATIENT; 12-05-2007 at 06:53 AM.

Quick Reply: LS/VTEC Setup - Opinions