Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

LS/VTEC Setup - Opinions

Old 12-05-2007, 09:50 AM
braap braap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod
Default Re: LS/VTEC Setup - Opinions

There are a couple local porters around here that I'd get some head from. .
Old 12-05-2007, 06:09 PM
Team Ultraspeed

Yell88CRXsi has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by HondaRules!
What was your setup making?
I won't know until I get the motor in the car...which will be sometime after chirstmas but before spring. The motor will make 250whp+ after a little twisting of Shad's arm. A clone of mine made 268whp and mine has a bit more in it...so we'll just have to see.

Last edited by Yell88CRXsi; 12-06-2007 at 03:56 AM.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:35 PM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

Originally Posted by Yell88CRXsi
I won't know until I get the motor in the car...which will be sometime after chirstmas but before spring. The motor will make 250whp+ after a little twisting of Shad's arm. A clone of mine made 268whp...so we'll just have to see.
Ah come on.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:10 AM
Respect Everyone!

ITRTurbo786HP has disabled reputation

Sweet, make some passes!
Old 12-08-2007, 05:25 AM
got some fake hp

wisepanda has a reputation beyond reputewisepanda has a reputation beyond reputewisepanda has a reputation beyond reputewisepanda has a reputation beyond reputewisepanda has a reputation beyond reputewisepanda has a reputation beyond reputewisepanda has a reputation beyond reputewisepanda has a reputation beyond reputewisepanda has a reputation beyond reputewisepanda has a reputation beyond reputewisepanda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HondaRules!
Bottom End
84mm 11.5:1 pistons
I-Beam Forged Rods
Knifed/Lightened/Nitrided/Balanced and Blueprinted Crank
Ishihara-Johnson Windage System

Top End
B16 Head, enhanced in the quench pad area similar to a GSR, and fully machined.
Competition Serdi Valve job, full de-shrouded to match 84mm bore.
Mild porting - possibly professional CNC port work.
Skunk2 Pro Series Springs/Retainers
Skunk2 Pro2+ Cams
Ferrea Hollow Stem Sodium Fill Valves.

Other
Golden Eagle LS/VTEC Conversion Kit.
Skunk2 Composite Intake (when released)
Large Tube Headers (1 5/8" Primaries with 2.5" collector, 4-1 design)
No cat. Muffler for street use. Header extension for Drag use.
10,500 RPM - 11,000 RPM

Mostly, this is being posted for Fabrik8 or other knowledgeable people to comment on, as to what they feel is a reasonable goal for said motor, what they like or don't like about the setup, and what they would do different. It's mostly so I can get some ideas on where I might look for improvements, and anyone who's truly interested and willing to make a suggestion is welcome to ask for additional details on any specific parts used (or planned) through PM.
Depending on how much material you add to the head for quench area, your going to have to do some math for the compression. But since you did say you were trying to run pump gas, anywhere approaching 12:5:1 or greater would be pushing it. And are you getting a 11:5:1 GSR, b16 etc (piston)because the valve relief is slightly different for each one and a 11:5:1 gsr piston will have a different cc dome then a ls piston of the same compression ratio. ON that same topic you would have to take in consideration that you are bolting on a b16 head, blah blah blah..ha. Im sure you know all this, just thought i would thow it out there. Sounds like a very solid build!!

S200 or s300 would be a must also like stated above, unless you know a very very good chrome tuner.

GOOD Luck with the build post some update threads when you get this thing running.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:30 AM
Registered Member

sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue

I too agree with others. You will need to bump the compression up to make the most out of those cams. I also agree with the boring of the sleeves you wont be save running 84mm. If you were turning the rpms you quoted in your first post then you would be getting big time side-wall loading from the pistons which would not be good for those thin sleeves. You probably wont make power anywhere close to that high of a rpm though.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:56 AM
Team Ultraspeed

Originally Posted by sohc_mshue
...the boring of the sleeves you wont be save running 84mm.
I'm quite sure you meant...the boring of the "stock" sleeves won't be "safe" running 84mm"

On a side note...the ablity to run 10,000 - 11,000 will require some hefty springs to keep from floating a valve. The problem here is that the more spring...the more you will beat your valve seats to death. It's a game of "give and take". You can't have both.

Last edited by Yell88CRXsi; 12-08-2007 at 07:01 AM.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:29 AM
Registered Member

EGbobby is on a distinguished road

I won't know until I get the motor in the car...which will be sometime after chirstmas but before spring. The motor will make 250whp+ after a little twisting of Shad's arm. A clone of mine made 268whp and mine has a bit more in it...so we'll just have to see.
yeah i just got done with my ls/vtec build about 4 months ago and shad tuned it.(car in sig)
Block
ls block boreed .50 over
12-5-1 comp weisco pistons
eagle I beam rods
micro polished ls crank
acl race bearings
golden eagle ls/vtec kit
Head
Stock obd I jdm b16 head
aem fuel rail and fpr
new 310 injectors
Computer
p28 chipped w/crome
Shad tuned it at millenium.

car put down 172 hp and 130 tq.

do these numbers sound about right? and i was just wondering what i could do to get around 200 hp. and if anyone has a head for sale or valvetrain please pm me.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:06 AM
Team Ultraspeed

Originally Posted by EGbobby
car put down 172 hp and 130 tq.

do these numbers sound about right? and i was just wondering what i could do to get around 200 hp. and if anyone has a head for sale or valvetrain please pm me.

***Stock obd I jdm b16 head***

You can add a gallion dollars to a motor, if the head can't flow...you are not going to make the power you want.

I do understand budgets...but the first thing you need to do is port the head...by a REAL porter, not some guy with a Dremel.
Second, In making the head flow better, you need to start thinking about higher flowing headers, intake manifolds and throttlebodies.
Then, after all this, get a good set of stage 2 type cams and upgrade your valvetrain.

Last edited by Yell88CRXsi; 12-08-2007 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:03 AM
got some fake hp

wisepanda has a reputation beyond reputewisepanda has a reputation beyond reputewisepanda has a reputation beyond reputewisepanda has a reputation beyond reputewisepanda has a reputation beyond reputewisepanda has a reputation beyond reputewisepanda has a reputation beyond reputewisepanda has a reputation beyond reputewisepanda has a reputation beyond reputewisepanda has a reputation beyond reputewisepanda has a reputation beyond repute

***Stock obd I jdm b16 head***

You can add a gallion dollars to a motor, if the head can't flow...you are not going to make the power you want.

I do understand budgets...but the first thing you need to do is port the head...by a REAL porter, not some guy with a Dremel.
Second, In making the head flow better, you need to start thinking about higher flowing headers, intake manifolds and throttlebodies.
Then, after all this, get a good set of stage 2 type cams and upgrade your valvetrain.
+1

you can never stress HEAD work enough. THIS IS WHERE YOU MAKE YOUR POWWWWWER!

i had a ls/vtec setup in my crx and it made 205 whp and 143 ft/lbs.

the main thing that was holding me back was i didnt want to turn the motor past 8500 rpms so i went with a smaller cam(edelbrock 4730) that made alot of midrange.(I drove the car daily) My head was ported and the bottom end was just punched 30 over with a set of wiesco 12:1's and eagle h-beams.

I loved the setup! to this day i wish i would not have gotten rid of it.

Quick Reply: LS/VTEC Setup - Opinions