Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

lower pulley (B16a1)

Old 11-25-2003, 11:10 AM
TPJ
sumospeedDOTcom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the rough
Default lower pulley (B16a1)

help! i cant seem to find anyway of breaking loose the lower pulley on my motor. its the pulley that runs the alternator and what used to be the a/c, etc. the water pump is behind that pulley, but i cant find anything that will break it loose. i was told the factory trq specs are 190 ft lbs, but who knows what the last jackass that tightened down put it at. anybody know any tricks, or maybe just have a really big compressor and impact gun? 2.5 gallon compressors dont do shit.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:44 AM
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike

it's the crank pulley dude. you are gonna need an air gun that puts down at least 500 ft/lbs to break it free....it's a BITCH. i believe moroso makes a special tool for the b16 pulley...but even w/ that it's extremely hard to break it free...

PS - dont loose the little woodruff key once you get the bolt free...it costs $5 from honda for like a 2 cent piece of metal...
Old 11-25-2003, 11:54 AM
To the future...

Hart-n-Sol Hart-n-Sol Hart-n-Sol Hart-n-Sol Hart-n-Sol Hart-n-Sol Hart-n-Sol Hart-n-Sol Hart-n-Sol Hart-n-Sol Hart-n-Sol

i have a compressor and my friend has that tool. hit me up and we can see about working something out. and i thought the oil pump is behind that. the water pump is above it.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:56 AM
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike

no, the harmonic balancer that the timing belt goes on sits under that puelly, and the oil pump is underneath the harmonic balancer.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:53 PM
To the future...

Hart-n-Sol Hart-n-Sol Hart-n-Sol Hart-n-Sol Hart-n-Sol Hart-n-Sol Hart-n-Sol Hart-n-Sol Hart-n-Sol Hart-n-Sol Hart-n-Sol

Originally posted by sk8rmike
no, the harmonic balancer that the timing belt goes on sits under that puelly, and the oil pump is underneath the harmonic balancer.
ha ha bitch u know what i meant. after all u would know from experience.
Old 11-25-2003, 01:01 PM
TPJ
sumospeedDOTcom

TPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the rough

bah i dont know whats under it. as you see i havent gotten that far yet! im about to just take a sledgehammer to it.
Old 11-25-2003, 01:26 PM
TPJ
sumospeedDOTcom

Originally posted by Hart-n-Sol
i have a compressor and my friend has that tool. hit me up and we can see about working something out. and i thought the oil pump is behind that. the water pump is above it.
is your compressor portable? the car isnt moving, and i cant afford a tow. if so hit me up, im off all tomarrow. 303 2007
Old 11-25-2003, 01:42 PM
Bitches get Stitches

hey mike...i think the b16 crank pulley is different on the inside than the D series....cuz jose's tool is for a D series right?
Old 11-25-2003, 01:43 PM
hybrid no more :(

Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert

you don't have to have a compressor...if you are cheap like me you can us a breaker bar w/ a extension...that will break it off easily depending on how long of a extension you use...you also need a way to lock the crank down...you can either use a pipe wrench on the crank pulley or use your battery tie down to lock flywheel...
http://hybrid2.honda-perf.org/tech/headswap/07.html
i actually have a impact wrench and it doesn't work as well a big breaker bar...
Old 11-25-2003, 01:45 PM
TPJ
sumospeedDOTcom

yeah, i have a 4way lug wrench that is plenty big enough to get it broken, but i cant figure out how to lock the crank down. if anyone can come up to yorktown tomarrow morning and help me fix this shit, lunch is on me.

Quick Reply: lower pulley (B16a1)