Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

lookin to run nitrous

Old 01-03-2009, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jdmintegra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default lookin to run nitrous

I have a 98 teg with a itr motor and trans in it..i actually just rebuilt/freshen up..new bearings new pistons rings,mild port and polish and port matched everything car runs great..i just want alil more to play with..im getting ready to get a chipped ecu from phearable for just n/a and im looking at nitrous kits for a wet shot and a msd retard box so i can still use the chipped ecu and change it over to retard timing when wanting to spray....what would be the best nitrous kit to go with ive heard nx,nos or zex i know they all do the same thing..just wondering from anyones info that has used them
Old 01-03-2009, 12:07 PM

Will's Fiero is on a distinguished road
Default Re: lookin to run nitrous

Whatever youdo, make sure you THOROUGHLY understand how you want your system to work. Nitrous is very effective when it works correctly, but can also be embarrasing or destructive if it doesn't work right.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:57 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

And get tuned. Don't rely on an ECU with some chip in it to run your engine, especially with a nitrous setup. The better tuning you have without nitrous, the better safety margin you'll have when the nitrous is on. Nitrous is very, very good at exposing tuning flaws, often with very [strike]interesting[/strike] explosive results.

Another thing to think about would be a tuning system with a map switch or some other way for fuel enrichment. I don't know if Hondata does that (I don't live in Honda land anymore) but I know a lot of standalone ECUs do that already. If you have some way to switch maps, etc., then you can use a simple dry system and have two stages of tuning, instead of having to rely on a wet system and a timing retard box. I'm not a big fan of piggyback devices and rigged up solutions, but they can work OK if done correctly. There are just a lot of variables that they don't have any way of handling.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 01-03-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:03 PM
for alarms/rmt-strts

EH3_SOHC has disabled reputation

umm the fat guy from the spring meet of last years 75 wet shot would keep up with my 312 hp b16 hatch until the end of third he had a jdm b16. he didnt get it tuned like i told him and after about 2 weeks blew a hole in his piston the sove of my thumb. get it tuned. i used a zex smart kit just a 75 dry shot on my last car (gsr)
Old 01-03-2009, 01:03 PM
Registered Member

jdmintegra is an unknown quantity at this point

oh ive used nitrous before on my gsxr-1000..ive been around it for years just never botheres to use it on my car..thanks guys
Old 01-03-2009, 01:10 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

This is what I'm talking about:

http://www.hondata.com/featuresnitrous.html

Some of the other aftermarket tuning solutions might have something similar too but I haven't looked.

That's a good, safe way to use nitrous and have the correct tuning. The ECU even does the enable logic so it can't inject at the wrong time.