Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Little bit of a weird issue.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Between Bikes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty
Default Little bit of a weird issue.

Hey everyone, having some weird issues going on right now with my car. It's an 87 celica with a 3SGE.

The problems I'm having right now are intermittent startup problems, as well as bogging down while accelerating directly after starting it up. It only happens on occasion, but here are some of the details.

When starting the car up I can hear the starter solenoid click once, but it doesn't crank; my guess is the brushes, but I don't want to replace anything until I'm absolutely certain. I know I can take it and get it tested, but there is always the chance that everything will work fine when they test it out.
It seems to happen mostly after it's been driven for a while, but after a while it will start up. The battery is holding a fresh charge, the alternator is in great condition, the distributor as a whole isn't that old, everything is grounded nice and tight, and there is no corrosive deposits anywhere to be found.

Now, when it does start, I have a slight problem with the engine bogging down when I accelerate. It will idle fine, but it feels like it will cut out if I speed up. The problem goes away though after it sits for a little while, could this be because of the EGR valve perhaps?
Old 08-15-2008, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

toyota_aristo is a jewel in the roughtoyota_aristo is a jewel in the roughtoyota_aristo is a jewel in the roughtoyota_aristo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Little bit of a weird issue.

Your starting problem sounds like a bad starter. There is a chance your bogging down problem has to do something with your starter problem if it's a fuel issue. Is your car smoking any, while starting, running, or accelerating? Check your fuel filter to see if it needs changing. Good luck.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:01 AM
Registered Member

Ross is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree with the starter, but would recomend verifying it by checking for proper voltage at the starter. For the runability issue also test your coolant temp sensor, base ignition timing, and for vacume leaks.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:36 AM
:Uses Ninja-Focus:

JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath

Starter Rebuild-$20.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:53 AM
Between Bikes

pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty

The car runs fine as long as it warms up a bit first and there is no smoking when accelerating or anything.