Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Tuning a Honda?

Old 08-18-2008, 01:45 PM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec
Default Tuning a Honda?

Hey guys quick question. How and what are you controlling when tuning a Honda (hondata, crome, et all)? I understand fuel maps are key. But how does the ecu change timing? The distributer, rotor and cap are all mechanical components so how does or simply can an ECU program change that. I'm asking because I'm trying to figure out if an S300 will really be worth the investment on my NA B18B with basic bolt ons and Cams (Custom BC's very similar to the Crower 404). I have been told I will be able to get a safe tune with a AFC, safe as in not the most power but you wont blow it up either.

Anyway thanx for any help trying to understand this.

***Edit: I ask because this is my track car so its $600 for the S300 and wait to get back on track or $300 for afc and $300 for 2 more track days.

Last edited by vbspec; 08-18-2008 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

1rude2l has disabled reputation
Default Re: Tuning a Honda 00011101110101010????

A s100 unit would be good for your purpose. Or just tuned on chrome would be a good choice. And yes the ecu does control timing. It sends the firing pulse. It gets its signals from the dizzy telling it where all the motor components are at at a certain time. basically the program on the chip inside the ecu tell is whether it needs alot or a little timing advance.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:06 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Tuning a Honda?

Originally Posted by vbspec
Hey guys quick question. How and what are you controlling when tuning a Honda (hondata, crome, et all)? I understand fuel maps are key. But how does the ecu change timing? The distributer, rotor and cap are all mechanical components so how does or simply can an ECU program change that. I'm asking because I'm trying to figure out if an S300 will really be worth the investment on my NA B18B with basic bolt ons and Cams (Custom BC's very similar to the Crower 404). I have been told I will be able to get a safe tune with a AFC, safe as in not the most power but you wont blow it up either.

Anyway thanx for any help trying to understand this.

***Edit: I ask because this is my track car so its $600 for the S300 and wait to get back on track or $300 for afc and $300 for 2 more track days.
If you need a tune, any decent tuning software can do that for you (with the help of a dyno and competent tuner). If you don't want to invest in an S300, invest in one of the lower level Hondata systems (S100), which work identically from a tuning standpoint, or use something like Neptune or Crome. Really the difference in the Hondata systems is down to extra features (which you arguably don't need probably) and features which make it easy to interface and tune (like the USB connectivity of the S300) that don't really affect anything once the tuning is done. So think carefully about what features you actually need, and who is going to do the tuning and use those criteria to shape your decision.

The stock ECU changes timing based on load, RPM, etc., and changing that through tuning is no different. The stock ECU doesn't have a fixed ignition timing, that's where your understanding seems to break down. There is a certain mechanical time window during each timing cycle that can be used by the ECU, so as long as there is enough time to transfer enough spark energy than you can go all the way to either extreme of that mechanical time window.

If you don't need the datalogging, etc., that the S300 offers, get something more basic like the $195 S100 and get it tuned.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 08-18-2008 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:15 AM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

I've talked to a few people and they said that the interface of the S300 is much better. I do now understand how the timing and ignition maps work with the vacuum pressures and map, O2 and other sensors. I think I'm going to pick up a used AFC for a few months and then pick up a S300 for a better tune.

Thanx for the input guys
Old 08-19-2008, 07:46 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

If you're not going to be doing the tuning yourself (and you really need a dyno) then use whatever the tuner is comfortable with. If the tuner uses Hondata, they should be equipped to tune an s100 just as easily as an S300, so that could save you a lot of money. It depends on how much the convenience of the S300 is worth to you. If you're going to tune yourself, use Crome and save a lot of money. No matter what you use you'll still need to get your ECU chipped.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:09 AM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

No I have no plan on tuning it myself. I have heard bad things about Crome and after calling around to see who tunes Crome I came up with a big ZERO. I think I will be picking up a used AFC for a few months and an event or two and then sell it on ebay and only be out a few $. Plus I'll have all the shit going on with my house finished and will pick up a S300. I kinda dig the datalogging idea.

Thanx again
Old 08-19-2008, 09:07 AM
Means Slow

MABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud of

If you dont like Crome so much try neptune. Thats the software i have on my chipped ecu. I was on the verge of going to crome but Matt shue convinced me to go with Neptune and im really happy with my decision. You dont need to go so expensive with hondata, it is preferably cheaper just to go with a chipped ecu and a software mapping than going so big on Hondata.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:42 AM
Racetracks

You don't actually have Neptune on your ECU, you have an ECU program that Neptune made/modified. Neptune, Crome, Hondata, etc., just make changes to the parameters and maps of the stock ECU code, which is why any of those programs work identically for standard tuning use (adding non-stock features is a different ballgame).

I know what you meant, but I don't want anyone to get confused about how all this stuff actually works. That would be like saying you have iTunes inside your iPod, or WinXP inside your USB memory stick.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:03 AM

4door_GSR has disabled reputation

you set your timming with the dizzy the tuning will tune your ignition and fuel maps and if your running boost or no2 it can be set... psi rps ect. and you can have a launch control set up there are soo many things that can be done talk to my friend on here matt shue his sn is SOCH_shue he is a neptune dealer and tuner he can tune euberdata , chrome, hondata , aem , d tech , and many other software if you want your honda tuned this is who i would highly recomend you talk to
Old 08-19-2008, 12:15 PM
Racetracks

Does he sell punctuation?