Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

KA24DE Fuel Issues

Old 04-11-2011, 03:45 PM
YANKYMATE!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft
Exclamation KA24DE Fuel Issues

I recently had to pull my motor and swap in another, and during the process I got myself into a conundrum with (what I think is) the fuel system.

The engine's in, everything is connnected (hopefully corrected), but the motor won't catch and turn over. The starter turns and turns but just won't catch and hold. I managed to get the car to run for like 10 seconds, but I was holding the gas down and it barely ran and sounded like it was running on one or two cylinders, like shit basically. All the spark plugs are working, so I figured that narrows it down to the fuel system.

The car is a 1990 coupe, the motor is a 1996 KA24DE. The internals were replaced to stock, and the head was port/polished, and I can vouch for all the work there. I deleted the emissions correctly and went with a S13 intake with an S14 upper plenum to remove the butterfly valves. The fuel rail is also S14 because the S13 fuel rail wouldn't fit against the head/valve cover.

So! Herein lies my issue:

For starters, do I even have this hooked up right? The fuel rail itself is from the S14 KA24DE, but I removed the rubber hoses and grinded a little to remove all the plugs and jazz that aren't needed for my harness and attached to S13 KA24DE rubber lines. So right above the fuel filter, where the 2 metal lines start, do I have that hooked up right?

2nd:
I have 2 bolts holding the fuel rail to the intake plenum, but they were an absolute BITCH to get on, and it seems really tight. Should there be like a spacer between the rail and plenum?

Any and all help would be appreciated. I can answer any questions, just trying to get this ironed out.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:05 PM
woot! :D

The Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these parts
Default Re: KA24DE Fuel Issues

Looks as though i is hooked up correctly to me. Have you checked to see if the injectors are working? Because it sounds like it isnt getting any fuel, it seems like it might be the fuel pump or fpr to me. But go ahead and check the injectors as well. IIRC, those bolts probably don't need a spacer.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:07 PM
YANKYMATE!

I know that when I pulled the injector towards the firewall, there was a lot of fuel buildup, not so much for the rest but there was fuel, and all the spark plugs smelled of fuel as well.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:00 AM
YANKYMATE!

Anybody?
Old 04-12-2011, 04:19 AM

The Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these parts

What exactly do you mean by fuel buildup? It was pooling above the cylinders around the injector?
Old 04-12-2011, 05:10 AM
YANKYMATE!

Yeah, each injector had fuel on it, and the spark plugs smelled of fuel, but the injector closest to the firewall had a hella lot of fuel backed up in it, so when I pulled it off, it dumped past
Old 04-12-2011, 10:15 AM

Maybe my logic is a little wrong here, but check the MAF, TPS, etc etc. It almost seems like the fuel air ratio is off. Too much fuel. Drowning out the cylinders.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:37 AM
YANKYMATE!

Not a bad idea. I want to run through all my connections and make sure they're good, electrical and vacuum.

I also asked on Zilvia, they're thinking it's related to a bad injector, o-ring, or the timing's off, so I'll check all of those.

For being the other motherfucker who has the decency to actually try and help me, you get plus rep. Next time you're local, you get a beer on me.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:24 PM

Haha thanks man. Keep it updated and ill try to help out.

Good luck
Old 04-12-2011, 05:46 PM
Tenderheart bear.

Juice Box Boy Juice Box Boy Juice Box Boy Juice Box Boy Juice Box Boy Juice Box Boy Juice Box Boy Juice Box Boy Juice Box Boy Juice Box Boy Juice Box Boy

Originally Posted by lbs_ft
Not a bad idea. I want to run through all my connections and make sure they're good, electrical and vacuum.

I also asked on Zilvia, they're thinking it's related to a bad injector, o-ring, or the timing's off, so I'll check all of those.

For being the other motherfucker who has the decency to actually try and help me, you get plus rep. Next time you're local, you get a beer on me.
ive never gotten a beer on you

Quick Reply: KA24DE Fuel Issues