Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

KA24 Questions. Need a bit of help/info.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:16 PM
Doin it in the dirt.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TWOFAWTY has disabled reputation
Default KA24 Questions. Need a bit of help/info.

Just bought a '90 240SX fastback, five-speed, KA24E.

Question, is there any difference in the KA24E and the DE other than the head and manifolds? I'm new to these engines and I'm wondering if you can swap the SOHC head and manifolds for the DOHC head and manifolds?

Also, do they bolt to the same transmission? I'm assuming so but I'm just curious to know for sure.

Another question, read something about a brown-wire mod for the "sleepy eye" healight deal? Any info on that? Is it just a wiring mod? I know for Explorers you can brown wire the foglights to come on with the parking lights and I'm wondering if it's about the same thing?

Next question, possible to turbo a SOHC KA? Is it even worth it? Would stock components hold any boost?

I appreciate any help, I'm just trying to see what's possible out there and what can be done with one engine as compared to another.

I know some of these questions might be stupid but...oh well I'm new to these engines, I'm used to domestics.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:29 PM
Doin it in the dirt.

Default Re: KA24 Questions. Need a bit of help/info.

Come on...somebody help me out.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:23 PM
+RepCarebearCrew

I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers!

sorry dude, nicoclub is the site i pmed you.

here the link for sleepy eye...http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=36850

ive never done it, but plan on it, if you do it, please take pics and write up id like to see it done.

personal opinion- dont boost the sohc, go with a dohc.

pretty sure any of the ka's tranny will bolt right up. i think i remember some one saying the ca,ka,and sr trannys are interchangeable.

im not positive on any of this, but im pretty sure i put you in the right direction!

and i got some spare parts if you need them. just shoot me a pm
Old 08-19-2007, 07:50 PM
Sheeeit

Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch

dohc head on a sohc block will not bolt up.

you have the oem intended engine. dont do anything to it, not even an intake (its pointless and a waist of money) save save save and save for a sr20 and if you cant wait that long than just save till you can get the DE. trying to mod that sohc will prove to be useless and a pain in the ass because you`ll never really notice any kind of change with that engine. it just sucks, all its good for is throwing rods and breaking timing chains.

and if you have dreams of turbo than definatly invest in a different engine however if i were you ide focus more on everything else but the engine if your just getting into 240s. I MEAN SUSPENSION SUSPENSION SUSPENSION. a stock engine in a car with a built suspension will out perform the car with built engine and no handles depending on the driver.

after youve worked out good tires and good handling then is the time to worry about more power. get yourself the DE work on everything else and when thats done and you learn to drive the car the way its ment than turbo the hell out of the DE until you blow it...THEN GO SR20
Old 08-19-2007, 08:34 PM
Doin it in the dirt.

Nice. I talked to a girl at work today that is buying a new engine to replace her DE and told her I'll take the old one and help her husband do the swap if I can get it.

Wanted the DE but I jumped on this car for the price...and color...and condition...
Old 08-19-2007, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

DAintegra90 has disabled reputation

brown wire trick is pretty easy, just cut the wire in the up/down button, also +1 for the swap sr is nice ka-t is always a good one but lil more building with that, rb is nice but fabing comes into play there.

with the tranny question any ka tranny will bolt up but for a sr to ka or ka to sr you need a new bell housing
Old 08-19-2007, 08:51 PM
psycho jungle cat

Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift

Originally Posted by BLACK95X
Nice. I talked to a girl at work today that is buying a new engine to replace her DE and told her I'll take the old one and help her husband do the swap if I can get it.
Let me know when you get rid of that SOHC, ill take it off your hands for the price of free, cuz ya know...Its worthless
Old 08-20-2007, 07:55 PM
Doin it in the dirt.

mmkay so I'm rebuilding it to original specs with a few goodies just to have something to drive while i'm saving for a swap.

Head's shaved .010", got a brand new header, 2.5" cat-back exhaust (need a muffler...not a big can but want something that sounds good.) cleaned the sleeve's/pistons got that going good, head's being cleaned up cam's cleaned...next is port/polish...later thiw week...then i got a new battery, plugs and wires, timing chain kit...and that's all I'ma do with the KA24E.

Once it's running I want to pop out some dents, maybe some new lights around it, DEFINITELY coilovers cuz damn it's wobbly and high, and hubcaps gotta go. oh and tint...maybe. that's about it.

...just brainstorming here...what do ya'll think?
Old 08-20-2007, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

DAintegra90 has disabled reputation

well suspension yes but all that extra engine work, i wouldn't really waist the time or money unless you got hook ups. exhaust yes but if your gonna turbo in the future for sure def get a 3". plugs wires def and batter yes

good luck with the build
Old 08-20-2007, 08:34 PM
I Roll Fenders

WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia

3" exhaust shows gains in CA, KA, and SR motors, turbo or NA. Don't let people tell you SOHC are worthless, if you build it and boost it it'll do fine. SRs are not God, they blow up too, everything blows up. I wouldn't have shaved the head, but whatever.

Quick Reply: KA24 Questions. Need a bit of help/info.