Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

I've narrowed down my HID problem... but still need a little push...

Old 03-16-2006, 01:49 PM
MoltenMetalFuzion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GoldenLeg13 has disabled reputation
Exclamation I've narrowed down my HID problem... but still need a little push...

Ok.... I posted not to long ago that my passenger HID would go out when i hit bumps or just at random times. Well, now its out for good. This is what i think the problem is:

I noticed that when the headlights are tured on this thing makes a little noise but i also noticed that now that my passenger side HID is out this little part dosent buzz or anything. FYI>>> there is one on each headlight and thats how i could tell the difference.

Please help me!!! I need this fixed ASAP!!!
Old 03-16-2006, 02:12 PM
I <3 BOOST

Iceman05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I've narrowed down my HID problem... but still need a little push...

I had the same problem with bumps etc with my old kit. Turned out to be the connectors grounding out on the chasis. Try and keep all connections away from the frame, zip-tie them if u must, or cover them with pipe insulation (what i did).
Old 03-16-2006, 05:50 PM
MoltenMetalFuzion

Default Re: I've narrowed down my HID problem... but still need a little push...

I just checked all the connectors and i noticed that whoever wired these HID's cut the factory headlight harness and tried to wire it like that.

Ok... so now that is everything I know so far.

More questions:

If the passenger side ballast is not making the slight buzzing sound like the other one is, does that mean that I need a new ballast?

Or does it mean that if I just replace the bulbs it will work again?

Keep in mind that the light WAS working SOMETIMES but now it is completly gone. My previous thought was that the actual bulb was getting too hot and it would shut itself off.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:08 PM
loves quervo

uglyDC2 will become famous soon enough

$10 says the ballast went tits up

you can double check the bulb by switching it to the other side but i'm sticking with the dead ballast part
Old 03-16-2006, 06:18 PM
I spit hot fire

8krdlne is an unknown quantity at this point

check your ground and see if you can give the ballast space or padding against the metal

Or like said above, the ballast just died
Old 03-17-2006, 12:46 PM
<3's Photography

240dreams has disabled reputation

My old HID kit had inline fuses attached to the ignitor. Does your kit have any? If so, check them. Also check the grounding tab on the bulb itself. It's a small little piece of metal that looks like aluminum foil. Make sure it has a clean contact.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:38 PM
MoltenMetalFuzion

WTF!!! I was getting in my car to leave wal mart tonite and when i cut my headlights on they both work again. Quick question: If the ballast is not secured down to the car and it starts bouncing around when I hit bumps and shit, would that cause that light to go out?
Old 03-18-2006, 06:46 AM
I <3 BOOST

Iceman05 is an unknown quantity at this point

yes, it needs to be secured.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:12 PM
miss my 2 wheels

brokemyR1 is an unknown quantity at this point

def secure it down...i belive that is your inverter for the headlight and on newer acuras such as the tl's and tsx's those bad boys cost a grip....somehwhere near $200 or so and thats for one...
Old 03-21-2006, 10:25 PM
Registered Member

all_motor_beast has disabled reputation

ok now i i am gonna get on ur thread until u guve me that info if u ain;t got it say it don't play me