Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Intercooler Question

Old 05-02-2010, 08:42 AM
Registered Fly Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mdotmech has disabled reputation
Default Intercooler Question

What is the difference between brand name intercoolers and ebay intercoolers. The reason I ask is because the setup I have right now on my 2000 Civic does not let me run my foglights. I need a setup with the endtanks on the bottom instead of the center. I was searching and read a post that referenced ebay intercoolers that would do the job. I know most other turbo parts from ebay aren't legit but wasn't sure about intercoolers since they have a very basic function. I searched and could not find anything that helped.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Intercooler Question

The cores on higher quality intercoolers are usually more efficient than eBay ones, which is a lot of what you're paying for. Whether that matters or not really depends on whether you care enough to spend the extra money. If you just need any old intercooler, an eBay piece will work fine. If you're trying to make a good quality setup, pay the extra money. Obviously if the rest of the turbo setup isn't really great quality, it probably doesn't make sense to get an expensive intercooler because you're not going to see the benefit.

I'm not going to say much about the end tank design because I've seen eBay intercoolers with nice end tanks and I've seen expensive intercoolers with crappy endtanks.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:40 AM
Registered Fly Guy

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
The cores on higher quality intercoolers are usually more efficient than eBay ones, which is a lot of what you're paying for. Whether that matters or not really depends on whether you care enough to spend the extra money. If you just need any old intercooler, an eBay piece will work fine. If you're trying to make a good quality setup, pay the extra money. Obviously if the rest of the turbo setup isn't really great quality, it probably doesn't make sense to get an expensive intercooler because you're not going to see the benefit.

I'm not going to say much about the end tank design because I've seen eBay intercoolers with nice end tanks and I've seen expensive intercoolers with crappy endtanks.
Thanks
Old 05-02-2010, 01:08 PM
Registered Fly Guy

After looking around I found that they sell end tanks, would it be possible to remove the current end tanks that are on my intercooler and have the ones I need welded on? If this is a dumb question my apologies in advance but I'm just trying to find any possible solutions that would work with the intercooler I have which is a Garret Bar and Plate construction.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:38 PM
IM BACK BITCH"S

droptoprx7 is a name known to alldroptoprx7 is a name known to alldroptoprx7 is a name known to alldroptoprx7 is a name known to alldroptoprx7 is a name known to alldroptoprx7 is a name known to all

i say just spend the extra money and get a quality intercooler. .

*after reading your post again you might be able to move your intercooler a little or your foglights to make your current setup work.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:34 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by Mdotmech
After looking around I found that they sell end tanks, would it be possible to remove the current end tanks that are on my intercooler and have the ones I need welded on? If this is a dumb question my apologies in advance but I'm just trying to find any possible solutions that would work with the intercooler I have which is a Garret Bar and Plate construction.
It depends. If they are cast end tanks, it probably won't work especially well to change the ports on them. If they're make of welded plate, you could probably cut off the old ports and move them somewhere else, and then plug the holes. There are a lot of places that make intercoolers for that car though, so if you keep looking around you'll probably find something decent for a good price.