Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

How low can a CRX be before a Camber kit is needed?

Old 05-05-2009, 03:18 AM
05 Kawi ZX6R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ricer Rob has disabled reputation
Default Re: How low can a CRX be before a Camber kit is needed?

Originally Posted by Yell88CRXsi
Sleekef is correct.

Lowering a car changes camber which inturn will effect toe. Even with a car that had perfect alignment and camber before being lowered.
That's why it is important to have your car align after lowering. Camber will not be so much of an issue with a good alignment. (toe)
I never bought a camber kit. I just had Chris over at Bert's Alignment "cold bend" my spindles.

I would say to the OP that 1.75" is the sweet spot between looking good and not trashing the bottom of you ride. Besides, have you ever driven a dropped CRX or 4th gen civic? It sucks and I hope you do not have an expensive header or you'll be kissing that one goodbye. I'm running about 1.75" drop which in most opinions is too high. But I'm still wiping out headers. It's your choice.
Yea I've lowered a few cars before and always get the usual alignment of course, Never used a camber kit in the past. Yes I've driven a lowered crx before but with the right shocks and springs it's not soo bad and this only being a track car I wasn't too picky and lowered it more than usual, the guy at the tire shop suggested that I might need a camber kit if it is lower than 2" so that he will be able to fully correct the camber.

It's still not slammed, just lowered on Intrax springs. I've never had to use a camber kit before and I don't really like the idea of using one since they have never seemed very secure to me. Most the kits I have seen look like they could easily come loose or move while driving.

oh yea, I don't plan on using a aftermarket header. The price to Power gain just never seemed worth it to me. Mayby a b18 swap with stock header, that's about it.

Last edited by Ricer Rob; 05-05-2009 at 03:21 AM.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:48 PM
www.CM-R.net

CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing

You will probably want the camber kit so you can tune your suspension for the track, since it is a track car like you said.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:51 AM
Brown Water

Livin_Legend Livin_Legend Livin_Legend Livin_Legend Livin_Legend Livin_Legend Livin_Legend Livin_Legend Livin_Legend Livin_Legend Livin_Legend

Originally Posted by elambz
Bullshit. Toe eats through tires. Camber does not eat through tires like you say.

The only reason my car has a camber kit on the front is because it came with one when I bought it. Otherwise it wouldn't ever get one.

Where did I say anything about toe NOT wearing down tires? Any modification (or even fatigue) to the STOCK suspension WILL promote irregular tire wear unless necessary adjustments are made.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

mattpowers has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Yell88CRXsi
Sleekef is correct.

Lowering a car changes camber which inturn will effect toe. Even with a car that had perfect alignment and camber before being lowered.
That's why it is important to have your car align after lowering. Camber will not be so much of an issue with a good alignment. (toe)
I never bought a camber kit. I just had Chris over at Bert's Alignment "cold bend" my spindles.

I would say to the OP that 1.75" is the sweet spot between looking good and not trashing the bottom of you ride. Besides, have you ever driven a dropped CRX or 4th gen civic? It sucks and I hope you do not have an expensive header or you'll be kissing that one goodbye. I'm running about 1.75" drop which in most opinions is too high. But I'm still wiping out headers. It's your choice.
x2.

I had a 1.5" drop on my CRX and you still have to careful as hell, especially if you've got a big header. Any lower and you're going to scrape all the time. Maybe not a huge issue if it's track only, but still you have very little clearance down there.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:23 AM
ermahgerd

bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada

Originally Posted by elambz
Bullshit. Toe eats through tires. Camber does not eat through tires like you say.

The only reason my car has a camber kit on the front is because it came with one when I bought it. Otherwise it wouldn't ever get one.
if you dont think camber eats through tires, come over and take a look at my falkens i just replaced. The insides corded in under 10k miles and they are 40k mile tires and it wasnt even that aggressive of negative camber.

Last edited by bumada; 05-19-2009 at 09:25 AM.