Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Hondata S100

Old 11-29-2008, 05:37 AM
Reporting FS Threads

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E.Honda E.Honda E.Honda E.Honda E.Honda E.Honda E.Honda E.Honda E.Honda E.Honda E.Honda
Default Hondata S100

I had a few questions about Hondata S100.

Ive been looking at buying something along these lines for a while. I just so happen to stumble across one for 100$ the other day. Ive been debating if its for me or not. The person selling it says he had used it on his boosted B16.

So Im assuming it has the turbo option. Now here comes the questions

Is S100 compatible with OBD0?

How user friendly is the Hondata S100 (im looking for something I can adjust / tune on my own)?

Mainly looking for something user friendly that I can tune by myself? Would anyone recommend the S100? Or something more along the lines of Neptune? Or Crome?

TIA
Old 11-29-2008, 07:29 AM
TurboPipingSystems

thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal
Default Re: Hondata S100

hondata.com will answer most of your question....

You'd have to convert to OBD1 using a harness. You'll need a few hardware and software. It's not as simple as it sounds.....
Old 11-29-2008, 07:34 AM
Slammedxpert

SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush

Hondata S300 is probably the best. I tried using S100 on my old GSR turbo, but it was a no-go. A few tuners around here couldn't tune the s100. Ask me why, I don't know.

Honestly dude, I'd get tuned on Neptune. You have many, many more tuning options when you convert to obd-1. Not many people can tune obd-0. If your going to convert, get the distributor connectors as well from ry-wire. It makes it look cleaner instead of having a hacked harness.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:52 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by I spy Psi
Hondata S300 is probably the best. I tried using S100 on my old GSR turbo, but it was a no-go. A few tuners around here couldn't tune the s100. Ask me why, I don't know.
It's all just software. If a tuner has a problem tuning with an S100, they have a problem with their computer hardware, not the S100. The S100 is just a copyright key that has to be installed to use an ECU program created with the Hondata software. That's all it is, it has no other purpose. The program (on the chip) that the Hondata software creates tells the ECU to look for the S100/200/etc board on the onboard serial port (which is where it gets installed in the ECU) and if it is there the program will allow the car to start and run. It's that simple, and that's all there is to it. The S200/etc. just adds extra features besides the copyright key function.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:00 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by E.Honda
I had a few questions about Hondata S100.

Ive been looking at buying something along these lines for a while. I just so happen to stumble across one for 100$ the other day. Ive been debating if its for me or not. The person selling it says he had used it on his boosted B16.

So Im assuming it has the turbo option. Now here comes the questions

Is S100 compatible with OBD0?

How user friendly is the Hondata S100 (im looking for something I can adjust / tune on my own)?

Mainly looking for something user friendly that I can tune by myself? Would anyone recommend the S100? Or something more along the lines of Neptune? Or Crome?

TIA
The turbo option is just something you pay for. The S100/200, etc, has a serial number, and some other data in it. If you buy the turbo option, they just change the data to say that you bought the turbo option, and then the turbo features are unlocked in the tuning software. Crome is freeware (but there are Pro/Commercial versions I think), and Neptune is just a different commercial software package.

So really the answer to your question is that you should find the software that you think is the most user friendly, and use that. All of the tuning software will create a program that will run the engine just fine, so it all comes down to what you're looking for in terms of tuning features, ease of tuning, that kind of stuff. None of that matters at all once the chip is burned and inside the ECU.

You have to pay for the S100, or pay for Neptune, or possibly pay for Crome.