Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

honda accord O2 sensor help

Old 08-02-2012, 04:22 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tconley93 has disabled reputation
Default honda accord O2 sensor help

So I put racing headers on my 96 accord and where the o2 sensor is supposed to go is directly beside the motor mount so I cant put it back in. Does anyone know how you can get around this? can i modifiy the motor mount the let the sensor fit or what? thanks
Old 08-02-2012, 05:02 AM
-RepLegion

SlvrSpec SlvrSpec SlvrSpec SlvrSpec SlvrSpec SlvrSpec SlvrSpec SlvrSpec SlvrSpec SlvrSpec SlvrSpec
Default Re: honda accord O2 sensor help

Originally Posted by tconley93
So I put racing headers on my 96 accord and where the o2 sensor is supposed to go is directly beside the motor mount so I cant put it back in. Does anyone know how you can get around this? can i modifiy the motor mount the let the sensor fit or what? thanks
I know the problem, you put headers on a car that only needs a header
Old 08-02-2012, 05:12 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Get a new sensor bung welded in a different location. You can either get the other bung cut out and welded shut, or you can leave it there and put a dummy plug in it.

My question is what type of header did you buy that directly interferes with a stock engine mount? It sounds like it was either horribly designed or is meant for a completely different installation than yours, which is farfetched because Honda stuff is so standardized. So I'm going to assume it was horribly designed.

Did this come from eBay?
Old 08-02-2012, 05:13 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SlvrSpec
I know the problem, you put headers on a car that only needs a header
yeah. thanks.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:17 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Get a new sensor bung welded in a different location. You can either get the other bung cut out and welded shut, or you can leave it there and put a dummy plug in it.

My question is what type of header did you buy that directly interferes with a stock engine mount? It sounds like it was either horribly designed or is meant for a completely different installation than yours, which is farfetched because Honda stuff is so standardized. So I'm going to assume it was horribly designed.

Did this come from eBay?
im guessing it was designed just for the motor and not really designed with mounting it in mind. there is a 2nd spot availible for a sensor to go but its back almost at the cat. i have been told you can get something that goes on the sensor to trick your engine into thinking its on the headers so the engine runs normal. do you know anything about this?
Old 08-02-2012, 07:06 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by tconley93
im guessing it was designed just for the motor and not really designed with mounting it in mind. there is a 2nd spot availible for a sensor to go but its back almost at the cat. i have been told you can get something that goes on the sensor to trick your engine into thinking its on the headers so the engine runs normal. do you know anything about this?
So you think the header was designed for an engine that will not get mounted into a car?

The 02 sensor bypass tricks are mostly for a secondary (post-cat converter) O2 sensor and not the primary O2 sensor. There is no way the engine will run properly with the primary O2 sensor bypassed, because that's the one the ECU uses for fueling compensation.

I'm going to need a picture of this so I can see what's actually happening here.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:26 AM
Registered Member

no i just think they designed it to fit the motor without considering where the mount would be. and ok i will take a picture later. got a # i can send it to?
Old 08-02-2012, 08:48 AM
Racetracks

I'm not sure if I'd use it if the manufacturer can't get the very basics of fit and function correct.

I think the lesson here is to use quality parts and you won't have these problems.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 08-02-2012 at 09:09 AM.